BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys. Here is the deal.

I had the K1200RS Taxi. Loved that bike. Sold it- like a fool. Thought I could not the ergos right... have since changed my opinion about that- I think.

I'm on the R1200RT- love it... and active on the RT board here. What is the story-line on the '05/'06/'07 K1200GT's?

Always liked them. Power ,smoothness, class, appearance. What's the weak spot(s)?

Have 2 good friends with K1300GT's lots of problems... tell me all about it.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
PM Meese. I've forgotten what year(s) he had, but he may have heard enough to be able to help you out.

·
IBR# 366
16,578 Posts
Lee510 said:
PM Meese.
Or he could've just asked me, as I rode right through Park City last week. :bike:

If you have friends with K13GTs, then you already have some idea. The '09-'10 K13GT is a "new & improved" version of the '06-'08 K12GT, where several niggling problems were fixed. New K13 problems mostly had to do with the switchgear, which has been well sorted with new parts.

K12 issues range from poor fueling (fixed with new airbox and software), to EWS Key errors (fixed with a new ring antenna), to weak center stands (fixed with K13 center stand), to shifter bolts breaking (fixed with K13 bearing parts), to random brake pad wear warnings (fixed by disabling the pad wear sensor circuit), to TPM read failures (fixed with a new TPM control unit), to cam chains jumping (fixed with new hydraulic tensioner and cam chain jump guard), to final drive failures (fixed with redesigned final drive), to the occasional ABS failure (it's rare, but there's no real fix found yet besides replacement).

Now not every bike has all these problems, of course, and most of these items should be sorted by now, but they sometimes sneak through on older models. And some of them can be rather expensive.

Still, the K12GT is a great bike, and most owners get many happy miles from them. So if the bike you're looking at runs and rides well, and is a good price, then go for it. Just be aware that it's a BMW, so it's kinda like playing the German Lottery, where you can be quite sorry if you "win" . . .

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
What about loss of radiator fluid, Ken ???

I'm still in love with my '07 K12GT. Low mileage rider - coming up on 30K miles. No problems.

- Bob

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff...

I have two pals who had K1300GT's both with problems serious enough that one went back on a Lemon Law settlement and the other in the shop so long he forgot he owned it... almost.

Looks like the list of weak spots is impressively long- in a not-so-good way.

This BMW lottery thing is getting depressing. I sure like the looks of the new Triumph. Loved my 2000 Triumph 955iRS... never a problem.

Interested in hearing all thoughts and opinions.

Bob

·
IBR# 366
16,578 Posts
bob_menton said:
What about loss of radiator fluid, Ken ???
If I thought it was a recurring problem on many different bikes, I'd have mentioned it. ;)

·
IBR# 366
16,578 Posts
hopz said:
I sure like the looks of the new Triumph.
It says something when folks drop BMW in favor of Triumph over reliability concerns . . . ;)

The new Trophy has an impressive list of features, on paper. Have to wait and see until they reach the real world before making any decisions . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts