BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on the forum have a problem with the LTs gear shift linkage ball joint studs? I know I use a light foot when shifting (especially since I've sheared off the threaded end of the rear ball joint before). Today I was riding home from work and went to grab second gear and found a limp lever. Pulled the foot-peg mount/chrome cover off and found the rear most ball joint broken off inside where it threads into the dog or "cam" that transfers the shifting action to the tranny.

These ball studs are made of aluminum or some type of pig metal alloy I think. Does anyone make a steel replacement? Am I the only clown having this problem?

Thanks,
Bob Lilley
Easton, PA
2003 K1200LTE, others

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Do a search on the forums for this one. This is really common and there's a TON of info on it.
Get yourself a philjohn linkage ([email protected]) and don't look back. Make sure you have him send it with delivery confirmation and not fedex or post that needs a signature unless you're home during the day when the mail comes.
HTH

Kevin

·
Registered
878 Posts
I just bought some of the improved studs from http://www.midwestcontrol.com . Not exactly the same as the kit that is sold online but they are very similar and the price is good. I have several extras, PM me if you would like a few to try. I think they will fit the 99-04's (not sure about the 05's and up).

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
We've heard of people breaking them before, but not multiple times. Do you drop your bike a lot? I'm still on my original linkage parts at 107K miles. Of course I carry spares, but have never needed them.

-joel

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
astuber said:
I just bought some of the improved studs from http://www.midwestcontrol.com . Not exactly the same as the kit that is sold online but they are very similar and the price is good. I have several extras, PM me if you would like a few to try. I think they will fit the 99-04's (not sure about the 05's and up).
They look the same, and are plated carbon steel, but I do not think they are "improved", as that is also what the stock ones are. They do not mention any heat treating, and since they are stated as "low carbon steel", they probably are not. The stock BMW ones MAY be heat treated, and if so may break easier though.

Pricing is strange, same price for just a ball stud alone as for the whole assembly.

I had one ball stud break, and just replaced it with BMW stock, carried spares in my tool kit, and never had the problem again in over 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
BobbyLT said:
----------------------------
These ball studs are made of aluminum or some type of pig metal alloy I think. Does anyone make a steel replacement? Am I the only clown having this problem?

Thanks,
Bob Lilley
Easton, PA
2003 K1200LTE, others
Not the only person to break one, but one of the very few who have had more than one break.

They are carbon steel, zinc plated. Most of us think that the main issue is occasionally checking them to insure that they are greased, and tightened properly. If they get a little loose, that causes them to rock back and forth slightly, putting more "bending" pressure on the threaded portion under the flange of the ball stud. Those of us who occasionally re-lubricated them and checked tightness never had one break again. Mine broke pretty early, around 20,000 miles. I replaced it with stock and carried spares in my took kit, but never had one break again in over 100,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts