BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does the difference in weight come from between the GT and the GTL? The GT weight is 705 and the GTL weight is 767. The top box alone can not make up 62 pounds.

Richie

·
IBR# 366
16,574 Posts
GT weight is quoted without top box or saddlebags.

GTL weight includes all of those items.

The GTL also has a slightly larger gas tank, which may account for some additional weight (I believe the weights are measured at an 80% full tank).

·
Registered
204 Posts
meese said:
GT weight is quoted without top box or saddlebags.

GTL weight includes all of those items.

The GTL also has a slightly larger gas tank, which may account for some additional weight (I believe the weights are measured at an 80% full tank).
Most, if not all, GT's delivered to the US have the same larger fuel tank as the GTL.

Don S

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it not make sense to use the same method to weigh both bikes? Sort of misleading.

Richie

·
IBR# 366
16,574 Posts
Richie1 said:
Would it not make sense to use the same method to weigh both bikes? Sort of misleading.
I can see not including the top box in the GT's weight, as that's not included as a standard part. But I agree that not including the saddlebags is a bit misleading . . .

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The difference in the weight FEELS even less than the advertised difference. The K1600 just feels lighter than the K1200LT and there is no comparison in the handling characteristic. I used to cringe before making any type of tight turn or U- turn. I really don't even think about it on the K1600. The bikes are so different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts