BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an open ended question that I'm having with myself as to which bike do I really want? I've got the choice and it seems that lately, I'm leaning toward the red GT for some strange reason. I've ordered the GTL, but the dealer assured me that I could go either way and the more I see pictures of the GTL with the (in my opinion) ugly after thought top case, the more I'm leaning toward the GT.

Most likely, I'll stick with the GTL, but I really am having second thoughts... I'm open to suggestions and realize that the GTL's top case is supposed to be easy to remove. Just haven't see pictures of it that way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are publicity shots of a GTL sans side cases and top box, but for some reason I can't seem to attach an image to my post. Check out K1600Forum and you'll see a post from a new owner titled "Naked GTL-E". I'll try to post the link below.

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-pictures/535-naked-gtl-e.html

I think it looks pretty good that way, which is why I decided to change my order from the GT to a GTL. I really only want the top box for when my wife rides with me or I'm on a trip, the rest of the time it's coming off!

·
Registered
530 Posts
While the Red GT is my faverite color I will still get the Blue GTL for its versitality.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Raaze12 said:
There are publicity shots of a GTL sans side cases and top box, but for some reason I can't seem to attach an image to my post. Check out K1600Forum and you'll see a post from a new owner titled "Naked GTL-E". I'll try to post the link below.

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-pictures/535-naked-gtl-e.html

I think it looks pretty good that way, which is why I decided to change my order from the GT to a GTL. I really only want the top box for when my wife rides with me or I'm on a trip, the rest of the time it's coming off!
I've been having the same debate with myself. Ordered the Silver GTL, but like several things on the GT better. I do like the photos without the top case and bags. It looks like a completely different motorcycle. I think, in the end, the GTL is the better value, since it comes with everything I would be likely to add anyway.

If this makes any sense, it's probably going to be easier, and cheaper, to make the GTL more like the GT than the other way around.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Dan,

The only significant differentiator I see is the riding position. The GTL's trunk can be removed; after that, the only notable difference (since all the standard equipment on the GTL is available as options on the GT, and all the initial bikes hitting the US are fully loaded anyway) is the handlebar and footpeg position.

So, with your body shape and riding preferences, do you prefer to be leaned forward slightly or to sit upright?

HTH!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Silver GT. For its riding position mostly - the GTL is too upright for me. Replacing my 2008 K12GT.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The only significant difference between the two is riding position. All luggage is removable in 5 seconds each, the seats are swappable, etc. More minor differences are the slightly larger gas tank on the GTL, its chrome trim, and its wider windshield.

If you change your order, then that means you no longer have a pre-order and will have to wait until the end of the year to get your bike.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Dan, like a few others here, I too have been weighing between the GTL and GT - considering none of us have had the chance to ride either (I've been able to sit on them both at the Long Beach show back in Dec) we only have pics and descriptions to go from. While I have a silver GTL on order, I too am not fond of the look of it with the top case. Let me add that there are only a few bikes that in my opinion look good with a top case - the Victory Vision I think looks the most integrated, followed by the LT. So when the K1600 was announced with the removable top case, I was very, very happy. For me, the flexibility to run sans trunk and/or bags far out weigh the lack of design appeal. I'll be running mostly with the trunk off, unless on a long trip or carrying my pillion. So as we know, there are a few things besides the trunk that differentiate the two models - seating/pegs/bar positioning, suspension set up, top speed limiter, windshield size/design, color choice. (I'm sure there are other things, but these are top of mind for me) It comes to the question of what you want from the bike and the simplest way is to ask: Do you want more "sport" in your touring bike, or more "touring in your sport bike? If you lean more sport-touring than touring-sport, then GT, but if you are like me, I want this bike to be comfortable for the long, long haul but yet I can have fun with in the mountains and twisties. I'm lucky as I one thing that helps with my decision was that I've got a R1200R in the garage as well, so I've got the naked/sport end of the spectrum covered and won't be trying to make my nearly 800 pound GTL handle and feel like a 475 pound R1200R.

So while I'm waiting, I too wonder about changing from the GTL to the GT, but when I look at what I really want from this bike and the kind of riding I want to do on it, I'll take the GTL and run sans tail trunk most of the time....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had the silver GTL for a week now and when i saw the fist photos of the top box i thought just the same....what happend there ...but since i have the bike in the flesh as it were its not been an issue....the seat yes but not the top box ....just my view

·
Registered
98 Posts
First, when I saw the GTL with the top box, I thought that it´s really ugly. Now I have had my blue GTL for 3 weeks, and I have to say, You´ll grow into that top box. Does not bother me at all anymore. It starts to look quite ok. So, don´t think too much about the look of the top box. The bike is GREAT. :bmw: :bmw: :bmw:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Get the GTL & take the top case off till you need it to haul something.
I plan on riding my GTL neekid as often as I can. :rolleyes:

Neekid = without top & side cases not without clothing. :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great input. Sisters and kids in town for the weekend and I just got back to the forum.

I'm probably more into the GTL riding style ( sitting more upright ) and really do use the top case storage a lot. My present K1200LT is used almost daily as my regular means of transportation and my wife is always accusing me of looking for reasons to get on and ride!

So, It's most likely going to be the GTL unless something significant happens after I've had a chance to sit on and ride them both. There is no real sense of urgency, so if the GL calls out to me, I can wait. Probably ride the GTL out of the showroom though if it calls to me the way the LT did!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am on the same position. Have a GTL on order but will have the ability to switch to the GT. I could only sit on the GTL as that was the only bike at the NYC show. I doubt I will take this bike as I think it will be too low for me (and I only have a 32" inseam). Granted I dsat on the low seat but the higher seat is only 3/4" higher.

The GT has more height (and doesn't have the ugly fake chrome). I need to sit on this to see the lean. If it similar to my RT I will go with the GT. If it is similar to the K1300GT, I will keep my RT and also get the keep my HD FXR.
Ken

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
ken6217 said:
I am on the same position. Have a GTL on order but will have the ability to switch to the GT. I could only sit on the GTL as that was the only bike at the NYC show. I doubt I will take this bike as I think it will be too low for me (and I only have a 32" inseam). Granted I dsat on the low seat but the higher seat is only 3/4" higher.

The GT has more height (and doesn't have the ugly fake chrome). I need to sit on this to see the lean. If it similar to my RT I will go with the GT. If it is similar to the K1300GT, I will keep my RT and also get the keep my HD FXR.
Ken
You can get the GT 2 piece seat for the GTL. This would give you even more leg room as the GTL pigs are lower & more forward then the GT.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ken,
To add to what Steve said, even if there is only 3/4 inch height gain between the low and high seat on the GTL, it is surprising what that little bit can do in regard to comfort. It is similar to when putting the foot peg lowering kit (Suburban Machining) on the LT's - that little bit made (for me) a world of difference in riding comfort.

A thought about the added chrome on the GTL vs GT - if one really wanted the GTL, but didn't want the added chrome pieces, I'm guessing one could get GT parts from BMW and swap them out. Not that it would be inexpensive to do so, but it would be an option.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ok, thanks. Food for thought.

I think the months, and months, and months, and months of thinking about these bikes have me going back and forth so many times since I can't actually get out and ride em.

The good thing is that it is a win win situation. If these bikes are better than the RT (which I absolutely love), then I will have some new bike. If they are not, then I still have the best bike I have ever owned.
Ken

·
Registered
519 Posts
ken6217 said:
I think the months, and months, and months, and months of thinking about these bikes have me going back and forth so many times since I can't actually get out and ride em.
Ditto. It's been nearly a year since I put a deposit down with my dealer to be the first in line....(lot of good that's done me)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The chrome does look a little odd the way it stands out, but I bet that it would be pretty easy to either paint or cover..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dan
I have been having the opposite thoughts-taking a GTL instead of the GT on order. Just passing thoughts and certainly not enough to call the dealer.
Did you order your GTL through Eurocycles in Tampa?? If so, the next time you visit there look in the corner by the coffee machine, you might find John Galt!!

Don S 2009 K1300GT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts