BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
That's decent mileage. Did you run two different brands of tires or are these from different bikes? If same bike did you notice any handling issues? Were you running 41/42 psi? Inquiring minds, ya know.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reid said:
That's decent mileage. Did you run two different brands of tires or are these from different bikes? If same bike did you notice any handling issues? Were you running 41/42 psi? Inquiring minds, ya know.
On the same bike, Dealer installed the front, I installed the rear. I had a Z8 on the rear that lasted 3000 km (1875 miles) when the steel cords showed. No handling problems on these, some cupping but still lots of rubber on them. 3.1 bar (45psi) front and back.

Garry

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm wondering why so many GT/GTL's are experiencing such a mileage difference on tires...particulary the Metzler. I have 3600 on my Metzlers and they look like they're ready for another 4000. Inflation at BMW specs. Maybe it has to do with hard acceleration that we're all tempted to do with this machine. It's puzzling.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
I got 5800 miles from my first set of Z8's. no cords showing but very uneven wear. I replaced them with PR3's. At 7000 miles the rear was gone but the front was good. Gateway BMW (was going to CCR) in St Louis only had a Z8 so I put it on. I now have 3000 miles on the rear Z8 & 10,000 on the front PR3 , both will need to be replaces with in about 1500 miles. I will be going back to the PR3's

·
Registered
51 Posts
My first set of factory Metz's, I got 6,315mi with cords showing on rear. 6,424mi with 1.5mm on front. Replaced rear with PR2 a week ago (myself) and front with PR3 at dealer. Hoping to get 10kmi from these.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Why such the short life out of the rears??

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Metzler on the front of my LT has a very similar wear pattern as the OP's front tire pic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am about 13,000 km's on my tires and watching them closely. I am thinking of going to a Dunlop once these tires are done which I am expecting to be this coming early summer. And yeah, why are we not getting more milage from tires? What is an average expectation milage from a bike tire anyway?

·
Registered
418 Posts
16 months with the GTL.
2 x sets of Metzler Z8s.
Just over 3000 miles per set with belts showing, plus cupping.
Sat for a month between 1st and 2nd sets; no tires available.
Switched to Michelin PR3s.
Rear tires lasted 5500 miles.
Front, 7000 miles.
Just replaced the rear with a Michelin PR2.
PR3s not available and on back order.
Will switch back to PR3 with next tire change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts