BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the new K bike only has a 580 Watt charging sysytem? That seems like a step backwards for a touring bike, yes?

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Is that what the spec sheet says, or the rumor mill? Regardless, without know what the power requirements of the standard installed equipment and accessories are it's impossible to determine. It could be more than adequate.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Gerbing jacket 77 watts
Gerbing pants 44 watts
Gerbing gloves 27 watts
Gerbing socks 17 watts

One up = 165 watts......Two up = 330 Watts

Turn on the heated seat and grips and you have a pretty good load without installing any extra lighting or accessories.

Ron

·
Registered
126 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
Is that what the spec sheet says, or the rumor mill?

This is the important point. What is the actual spec on the charging capacity. I can't believe they would put a light weight magneto on these bikes.]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like dmacd says, it's right off of the spec sheet. Take that number (580W) and subtract the Gerbing info that kellenbenz provided (330W) gives the K1600GTL only 250W for engine/lights/heated seats and grips. That sure doesn't seem to leave anything for additional lights or other farkles that may be desired.

I dunno. Honestly, my paid off 100,000 mile LT is looking better and better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Gerbing jacket 77 watts
Gerbing pants 44 watts
Gerbing gloves 27 watts
Gerbing socks 17 watts

Turn on the heated seat and grips and you have a pretty good load without installing any extra lighting or accessories.

I think you would be over heated badly with all this stuff running. Likely could kill the gloves, or the grips, and with the pants likely won't need the seat. A lot of the lights are LED, very low requirement so I'm not worried about having enough juice.

Apparently the swithches are going to be revolutionary. Read an article and these are not going to be normal copper contactors but a new type of plastic impregnated with sintered copper switch. The author of the article raved about the electrics on this bike. Anybody know anything about the switches ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
crosswrap said:
Apparently the swithches are going to be revolutionary. Read an article and these are not going to be normal copper contactors but a new type of plastic impregnated with sintered copper switch. The author of the article raved about the electrics on this bike. Anybody know anything about the switches ?
They've already introduced them on the R1200RT and the K1300GT. I understand that there were some initial problems (maybe a recall) but they're working well now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
crosswrap said:
kellenbenz said:
Gerbing jacket 77 watts
Gerbing pants 44 watts
Gerbing gloves 27 watts
Gerbing socks 17 watts

I think you would be over heated badly with all this stuff running. Likely could kill the gloves, or the grips, and with the pants likely won't need the seat. A lot of the lights are LED, very low requirement so I'm not worried about having enough juice.

I don't know anything about the switches other than what was in the Cycle World article. The link to the article:

http://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle_news/first_looks_articles/10q4/inside_the_2011_bmw_k1600gt_and_k1600gtl_-_first_look/inside_the_2011_bmw_k1600gt_and_k1600gtl_page_2

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
This is the one thing that worries me. My FJR has 590w and running the Gerbing jacket, gloves, and heated grips puts me right on the edge and this is with both headlights switched to HID which in theory freed up 40 watts on low beam between the two.

At highway speed, this load (77w+27w+22w) can be sustained but not in stop and go driving.

I'll be watching carefully to see how this plays out once real world experience is available.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Interesting thread -- I guess I have a different perspective.

While I'm interested in seeing what the real world experience with the K16 is, after years of riding airheads with 180W or 260W alternators, I expect I can figure out how to "make do" with only 580W. :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Pegasus said:
. That sure doesn't seem to leave anything for additional lights or other farkles that may be desired.
You'd be amazed how much light 10 watt LED driving lights put out compared to my 50 watt (each) Piaa lights. I got rid of the 110 watt piaa pair and replaced them with 20 watt LED's.

The GTL comes with 2 LED driving lights, the headlight low beam is HID, tail light and turn signals are LED's. As far as connecting a heated suit including gloves and socks, I will be adding a digital voltmeter and watch it closely. I never turn on the heated gear to full heat, I'd be cooked to a crisp, and would have to hook up the heated gear straight to the battery, as I'm sure the complete heated suit will blow the accessory socket's fuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts