BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from intermot show in cologne. new 1600 gt is great, pls allow to introduce myself on my future beauty. available march 2011. price not known yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dkjkwood said:
So what did it feel like? Comfy ergos?
very comfy, lots of space compared to 2010rt which is a bit cramped especially for 2-up. more comfy than the k1200/1300 - had 2 of those as well. angle of the legs is better also handlebar reach. does not seem to have any bars adjustment as the former k but for me is perfect - 1.85m tall, 32" inseam

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Re: Is this not the face of a Transformer?

DaveDragon said:
I think it looks very much like Johnny Five from "Short Circuit".

·
Registered
530 Posts
I also have a GT or GTL on order I get first pick at my dealer when they arive.

·
IBR# 366
16,606 Posts
Re: Is this not the face of a Transformer?

hschisler said:
I think it looks very much like Johnny Five from "Short Circuit".
OK, who's gonna get JOHNNY5 for a license plate? :rotf:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm gonna take THIS model... or better, THESE models:

:D

·
Registered
293 Posts
I did not realize it has to be ridden side saddle...another first for BMW!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did they talk about or did you notice where one plugs in the heated clothing? Here in Canada this is a must to extend the riding season as well as keeping the SO happy. I did not notice anything integrated like on the LT. Having it integrated is so much nicer then just running connections up between the seat.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Corrado68 said:
I'm gonna take THIS model... or better, THESE models:

:D

Well I think the implication is that "If you had one of these , you could have one of these". Jus sayin

Personally I ain't buying it. But it makes for good sales schtick.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
ferrasr said:
Did they talk about or did you notice where one plugs in the heated clothing? Here in Canada this is a must to extend the riding season as well as keeping the SO happy. I did not notice anything integrated like on the LT. Having it integrated is so much nicer then just running connections up between the seat.
The GTL shown at Jay Leno's Garage had a socket at the top of the rider's right interior fairing panel. I have to believe, based on BMW's consistently providing rear outlet mounting flats on the rear of most all the bikes since the '98/'99 LT, there will be provisions for sockets on the GT and GTL.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Stixx said:
Well I think the implication is that "If you had one of these , you could have one of these". Jus sayin

Personally I ain't buying it. But it makes for good sales schtick.
And we all thought the BMW motorcycles were high maintenance items.... ! :rotf:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
there may be a problem with it as power generator on the new k1600 seems to be weaker than before.

Alternator Output

13GT = 945w
16GT = 580w
12RT = 720w

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Doru said:
there may be a problem with it as power generator on the new k1600 seems to be weaker than before.

Alternator Output

13GT = 945w
16GT = 580w
12RT = 720w
Which I find very surprising. Even with the savings afforded by Xenon and LED lighting, the K1600GT seems a couple of hundred shy. Two sets of Gerbings or equivilent would use 250-300 of the available.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Doru said:

Alternator Output

13GT = 945w
16GT = 580w
12RT = 720w
I noticed that too, but perhaps they are using more LED's or other ways to reduce the power consumption so there could be as much available for add on accessories as the RT, GT or LT. It is a good question/concern.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Doru said:
Alternator Output

13GT = 945w
16GT = 580w
12RT = 720w
At first glance, I have to wonder if that spec is correct. But on second thought, with the use of LEDs and CanBus, do we need a huge alternator anymore? Hhmmn...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Doru said:

Alternator Output

13GT = 945w
16GT = 580w
12RT = 720w
Good lord! How much excess power do we need??

Low alternator output is the 180W on my wife's /5 -- 580W is nearly 60 Amps! This is more than enough to power everything on the bike, including rider and passenger heated clothing.

Suggesting that the owning/driving of the K16 may be compromised or unsatisfactory because you only have 580W instead of 720W is like saying that you might not enjoy driving a Corvette because it has a 5.7L engine instead of a 6.2L engine.

Let's focus on real issues, not meaningless tech sheet differences -- like: why only two colors for the GTL?!?! :histerica :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts