·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Premium Member
7,525 Posts
Not for me. The GTL isn't even a good replacement so a bagger isn't even close.

This may be a good alternative for Harley bagger riders who want a modern bike.

I have given up on there ever being a true secessor to the LT. I think it was a one of a kind bike that likely will not be duplicated. The only bike that even seems to be seriously trying is the rumored next generation Gold Wing. If it has what the rumors say, it could be interesting.

Reactions: gorm5

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
As a K bike lover, I have to agree the series is dead. The K1600 is just....not there. Keep them running as best you can.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Not for me. The GTL isn't even a good replacement so a bagger isn't even close.

This may be a good alternative for Harley bagger riders who want a modern bike.

I have given up on there ever being a true secessor to the LT. I think it was a one of a kind bike that likely will not be duplicated. The only bike that even seems to be seriously trying is the rumored next generation Gold Wing. If it has what the rumors say, it could be interesting.
Same here. I'm convinced all the manufacturers are righteous,self centered, And don't listen to their true customer base. Honda... Wing owners have been bitchin for years(Rightfully so) About the packages honda would force on you to get something like ABS. In the past. To get ABS. With Honda. You had to get the audio package I think it was. But with that. You get a gps that to operate. You have to stop. No operating when rolling to look for fuel for example. And owners big complaint. No power windshield. Honda does not listen. Yamaha with their new Venture. It's a air cooled twin. Now we know owners wanted a liquid cooled V4 .Talk to your customers! Bmw redesigned the gtl fairing/bodywork for a reason. Customer complaints about it not protecting like an LT. I know I can't be the only one that's contacted BMW and told them the GTL. Nice and all wasn't the LT aesthetically speaking and I wasn't interested. Why am I going to buy a new bike for 26K . Then have to spend $$$ for aero wings, windshield etc to make almost as comfy and give me the same wind protection as my 13 yr old Lt? These corporate pinheads just don't listen. Gotta give Harley credit. The customer base liked the roadglide. But interviews suggested the fairing was dated. What did they do? Held it out for a year and completely redesigned the fairing. And a great job they did. I rode one. And the difference is absolutely amazing. The vent system works very well. It brought the radio/controls closer to the rider. Very smart move. If I was a HD guy. That'd be the bike. The Rushmore project was a great idea. The others need to take a lesson here.

·
Premium Member
7,525 Posts
As a K bike lover, I have to agree the series is dead. The K1600 is just....not there. Keep them running as best you can.
Yep, I hope to keep mine going another 5 years or so and then decide what to do. Once wiring and other parts get 15+ years old, the random failures get annoying, particularly on long trips to remote places.

I am looking at a KLR650 to ride locally and when my LT is down for maintenance or repair. Mine has averaged more than two weeks of downtime per year for the 10 years I have owned it. The big issues were two weeks waiting on buckets for my first valve adjustment. Five weeks for final drive rebuild (didn't know about Saddleman) and six weeks for clutch repair. Add in the normal 12 and 24K work, tires, etc. and I easily lose 14 riding days each year. I lost maybe two days each year for the 17 years I owned my Kawasaki Voyager.

The LT is the first non-Kawasaki I have owned (other than my Chibi mini bike) and the first bike that gave me a need for a spare bike to ride during down time. It may well be my last BMW as well as my first. Too unreliable, too expensive for parts, too many special tools needed, too few dealers, and nearest dealer whom I will never patronize again due too poor treatment by their service manager.

The only way BMW will get a second sale is if they provide a true LT successor and I think the odds of that are nil.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm new to this forum and hope I don't step on any toes? But, Uuuuh NO! BMW seems to be getting away from the true "bagger" bikes. This bike is nice and beautiful but it will never replace the LT in my opinion. except that if you want a new BMW its about your only option. Just simply bolting a set of plastic briefcase boxes to the side of a crotch rocket doesn't make it a full dress bike. In reality, the full dress BMW died in 2009 with the LT being discontinued. The K1600LT is a design I don't care for much "to me it looks like something out of the Robocop movie" and the fact that they removed the automatic center stand and for a few years loosing the reverse also is where I got frustrated. I'm a simple old school, full dress plastic that covers the whole front of my bike, including my legs, big and heavy, smooth riding, outside radio, C/B radio, armrest and floorboards bike kind of guy! That's the way I roll.

I cant switch to Honda Goldwing because they don't offer the hydraulic center stand and if you know and understand just how state of the art the servo assisted, power anti-lock brakes on the K1200 are, and how they operate, It is by far the safest braking system made for a motorcycle. So I will continue to resurrect all the LT's I can before society runs out of them.

Ron

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It amazes me how loyal Lt riders are. Yes their are those nea-sayers out there who may have gotten lemons or just were unlucky with theirs. I for one after being a Harley fanatic for almost 40 years switched to BMW about 2 years ago. Started with an RT. Loved it but still missed my ElectraGlyde. Then one fantastic day i got an amazing trade on a 2006 LT. I've never ever looked back, and now I'm at that same point of fanaticism that i was for my Harley. I've put on almost 20k on the 06 in 1 ½ years, and have had absolutely no issues. The previous owner had put on all the upgrades and it's been a joy. I have to agree. BMW messed up by discontinuing that model, and should really bring it back.

·
Premium Member
7,525 Posts
It amazes me how loyal Lt riders are. Yes their are those nea-sayers out there who may have gotten lemons or just were unlucky with theirs. I for one after being a Harley fanatic for almost 40 years switched to BMW about 2 years ago. Started with an RT. Loved cit but still missed my ElectraGlyde. Then one fantastic day i got an amazing trade on a 2006 LT. I've never ever looked back, and now I'm at that same point of fanaticism that i was for my Harley. I've put on almost 20k on the 06 in 1 ½ years, and have had absolutely no issues. The previous owner had put on all the upgrades and it's been a joy. I have to agree. BMW messed up by discontinuing that model, and should really bring it back.
I think bringing it back would be a mistake as it had some real issues. I think the K1600 power train is superior to the LT in almost every way. If they fixed the excessive driveline lash and the goofy oil check and coaxial plug drain system, it would be superior in every way. I would like to see BMW keep the K1600 power train, chassis and suspension, but design the fairing for LT class protection, the passenger seat for LT class pillion comfort and design integrated, non quick detach bags and trunk. This should replace the GTL. Keep the GT for those who want ugly quick detach bags and trunk, and who really are sport bike wannabes rather than two-up long distance tourers.
>:)

A power centerstand is nice, but with the much lighter bike it is less of an issue and adds weight, cost and reduces ground clearance. I would be more than happy with a two stage system like that on my 1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII. It isn't as sexy as pressing a button, but the two stage mechanical stand made hoisting the bike easy. Push down the first lever which deployed the stand until it just kissed the ground and then push the second lever with your foot and the additional leverage would easily pop the bike up onto the center stand. Easy to use, cheap, compact and stone axe reliable.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Ahhh, NO.

I love my LT and after 330000 miles I still love it like the day i first drove her. Sorry BMW you are going the wrong. Looks like every other bagger. no way. Dont get me wrong I love my RT but its NOT a LT. One of the few things engineers got right. Its just the perfect riding machine. Im doing a clutch on her now and them the RT will be parked for awhile while I ride my baby. Thinking maybe a 50cc next year.
Just love being on that bike.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You(We) need to contact the mothership and tell them what you just wrote. The only way things will change. Otherwise. They will keep doing the same.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Don't bother emailng NJ, twice I have gotten back polite notes saying they do not take suggestions from the public. I have emailed Germany though. And if you have a working relationship with your dealer that is a conduit also.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I think bringing it back would be a mistake as it had some real issues. I think the K1600 power train is superior to the LT in almost every way. If they fixed the excessive driveline lash and the goofy oil check and coaxial plug drain system, it would be superior in every way. I would like to see BMW keep the K1600 power train, chassis and suspension, but design the fairing for LT class protection, the passenger seat for LT class pillion comfort and design integrated, non quick detach bags and trunk. This should replace the GTL. Keep the GT for those who want ugly quick detach bags and trunk, and who really are sport bike wannabes rather than two-up long distance tourers.
>:)

A power centerstand is nice, but with the much lighter bike it is less of an issue and adds weight, cost and reduces ground clearance. I would be more than happy with a two stage system like that on my 1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII. It isn't as sexy as pressing a button, but the two stage mechanical stand made hoisting the bike easy. Push down the first lever which deployed the stand until it just kissed the ground and then push the second lever with your foot and the additional leverage would easily pop the bike up onto the center stand. Easy to use, cheap, compact and stone axe reliable.

https://youtu.be/ttSA7SaW-dA
I agree 100% The K1600 engine and drive line combined with the comfort and great fairing protection of the LT. When you phase out a Long distance tourer. Shouldn't you replace it with something equal to or better? And that doesn't mean detachable bags. The GTL doesn't even have rear speakers. Yea. Suspension, engine technology wise the 1600 is great. It's like BMW just got lazy and just didn't finish the job. BTW. That centerstand on the Kawasaki is the best design. Your right. That's the way to go.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Wow. I guess what I said about these motorcycle manufacturers being righteous and self centered arrogance wasn't to far off huh? Hmm. Well my Lt will probably be the last BMW I own. They would have to pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat to hook me. Or as a replacement I look for another LT when this dies if they're still around.

·
Premium Member
7,525 Posts
Don't bother emailng NJ, twice I have gotten back polite notes saying they do not take suggestions from the public. I have emailed Germany though. And if you have a working relationship with your dealer that is a conduit also.
Yes, BMW could care less what you think. They are easily the most arrogant company in the motorcycle (or auto) world.

Kawasaki isn't much better. When they discontinued the Voyager XII, they gave the impression of working with the AVA (BMWMOA equivalent) and its members to define the requirements for the replacement. They got many good suggestions to add things like FI, ABS, electric windshield, etc., but keep the basic inline 4 engine with updates for competitive power. After a couple of years the chatter slowed down and then got quiet. After 4 long years they released a bike completely unlike anything any AVA member wanted. They became a Harley wannabe with the Vulcan Voyager. Another V-twin with bags and trunk. That is when I left the Kawasaki fold after 30 years and bought the LT. I don't know the VV sales figures, but I almost never see one on the road. Folks that want a Harley will buy a Harley.

I really, really don't want a Honda product of any form (long story), but the reality is that they are the only company still taking two-up luxury touring seriously. Unless the new Gold Wing is a V-twin Harley wannabe, it may be the only real upgrade path for an LT owner.

I thought the Kawasaki C14 might be a possible option as it is more comfortable than the Yamaha FJR, but lack of cruise is a deal breaker for me. I sent a letter to Kawasaki suggesting that cruise would be a great addition (this was before Yamaha finally added it to the FJR) and didn't even get a form letter reply.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Really think the LT will be around for a long long time and become a true classic and collectible. The "low price" trend will reverse when people realize they are hard to find. I know it'll most likely be the last bike "i own, and ride" for sure. Once hit the time when I can't hold her up, i'll retire her.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same here. I'm convinced all the manufacturers are righteous,self centered, And don't listen to their true customer base. Honda... Wing owners have been bitchin for years(Rightfully so) About the packages honda would force on you to get something like ABS. In the past. To get ABS. With Honda. You had to get the audio package I think it was. But with that. You get a gps that to operate. You have to stop. No operating when rolling to look for fuel for example. And owners big complaint. No power windshield. Honda does not listen. Yamaha with their new Venture. It's a air cooled twin. Now we know owners wanted a liquid cooled V4 .Talk to your customers! Bmw redesigned the gtl fairing/bodywork for a reason. Customer complaints about it not protecting like an LT. I know I can't be the only one that's contacted BMW and told them the GTL. Nice and all wasn't the LT aesthetically speaking and I wasn't interested. Why am I going to buy a new bike for 26K . Then have to spend $$$ for aero wings, windshield etc to make almost as comfy and give me the same wind protection as my 13 yr old Lt? These corporate pinheads just don't listen. Gotta give Harley credit. The customer base liked the roadglide. But interviews suggested the fairing was dated. What did they do? Held it out for a year and completely redesigned the fairing. And a great job they did. I rode one. And the difference is absolutely amazing. The vent system works very well. It brought the radio/controls closer to the rider. Very smart move. If I was a HD guy. That'd be the bike. The Rushmore project was a great idea. The others need to take a lesson here.
Agreed....... All this manufacturer just want to go ahead, because technology changes so quickly....and allow them to do so.
How about looking back at the inventory you have....Beemer engineer fix the issues the Lt has had from birth, and we would have a super bike... The world would embrace it...... Pass this on the BMW corporation.
In love with my LT. She is the best ride I ever had among all the bike I have had!

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
It's been interesting to read this thread touting the benefits of LT ownership and design, while basically lambasting BMW for not bringing out a suitable replacement.

I loved my LT, but lusted for more power, so succumbed to the siren of the GTLE. Although I somewhat miss the EHCS, reverse gear, and good looks of the LT, the GTL/GTLE /GT is much easier to maneuver in parking lots, handle better, and have much more power and better lighting. I had PIAA's and an RDL on the LT, and added Clearwater Darlas and an RDL on the GTLE, and would equate the comfort level comparable and lighting superior to the LT.

One suggestion that I have is for the LT stalwarts to add any farkles as soon as possible, as the aftermarket is getting leaner, and leaner for the LT - cases in point, the Fix-It-Before-It-Breaks latch kit, and the BMR luggage rack. As time progresses, aftermarket suppliers will stop supporting no-longer-in-production bikes and focus efforts on currently available models.

Let the flames begin...

:bmw:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Instead of listening to buyers, it seems motorcycle companies look to each other and make their design changes from there. This BMW B is obviously the competition for the Honda version. For me, I would want to ride it before making a decision. Obviously, it is not made to be the next LT. It may still be a great bike.

I like the way the B looks but I like the way a lot of motorcycles look, from classic to modern design. It may be a great bike to ride for a weekend while staying in a hotel. It may not be a great bike for hauling all of the gear needed to camp across America. My understanding is passenger comfort was best achieved on the LT, but I almost never have a passenger. Unless something changes, in 10 years, I might move on to a 2020 GTL. Although, if the LT parts dry up, new decisions may have to be made. We shall see.

I don't think LT is the best bike ever. Different bikes serve different purposes and some meet those purposes better than other and not everyone wants the same purposes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts