BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some thoughts on the k1600? i'm a little disappointed in the looks, does anyone agree or is it just me?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I agree with you entirely Ed! Especially the top box. There has been a LOT of discussion on this topic in the K1600 forum on this site. Easy to find by dropping down one more line and selecting k1600 after you select "forums" when you first log in to bmwlt.com Here is the link: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/ Then select K1600 GT/GTL and you'll be golden.

It is true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to me the front looks like an asian sport bike and the trunk looks like the one on every other bike. Perched on top like they nearly forgot to put one on.

Oh well, go take a look, the conversations tend to become pretty 'animated'!

Loren

Just saw that you are on line Frank. Stayin' warm down there in Paradise? :histerica

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Actually Loren, a little bummed. We were supposed to get up to 6". We got about 1/4" last night and sun all day today - but the roads are packed snow. So, good ridin' weather, just nowhere to ride!!!
Predicted to drop to about 3 tonite, so may not be making any neked snow angels tonite. :wave

·
Registered
28 Posts
As we all will agree, looks and taste are all in the eye of the beholder. Personaly I find both the GT and GTL beuatiful and exciting .I love the styling and found my heart racing when I watched the MCN review.
I find these bikes much more sleek and buisness like than I did my LT . Anyway I find it difficult to wait until May. I don't think I've ever had a machine bring me greater anticpation. I guess my age is showing when I look for ward to riding the GTL more than the wife. But hopfully I'll be riding the bike more often

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am a brand new LT owner, I left the NYC motorcycle showing with the idea I was going for that machine. After some more research I found that the 2011 had no reverse or power center stand (not something I truely need, but wanted). So a look around and I found a loaded low miles 2009 traded in my RT. Now just preping for some trips

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I want to see, smell, touch and ride the real thing before forming a solid!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Like the bumper sticker says...."beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"
I agree it's not a MV Agusta, but thank the Lord it's not a Hondapottamus
or a Victory Vision either. I can understand that there should be some
initial physical attraction in order for a good long term relationship to
develop. The beer, remember the beer....it can make a difference.

·
Registered
193 Posts
JonfromCB said:
Like the bumper sticker says...."beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"
I agree it's not a MV Agusta, but thank the Lord it's not a Hondapottamus
or a Victory Vision either. I can understand that there should be some
initial physical attraction in order for a good long term relationship to
develop. The beer, remember the beer....it can make a difference.
Hondapottamus - that's funny! :histerica

·
Registered
45 Posts
Herr Franz was probably full of beer when he designed the K1600's. So maybe we are supposed to look at them through a six pack. I will admit that I like the look of the K1600's better than I did at first. Been riding the nostalgia trail of HD for 20 years and am a little slow to change. The BMW is a beauty queen compared to the Vision or the pottamus IMHO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I love the styling of the bike and I challenge you guys to find a non-integrated topcases that looks good. Topcases are inherently ugly but are extremely useful, and being able to remove them easily is nice (though admittedly not nearly as important as removing side bags).

·
Registered
7 Posts
The top case will stay on a rack in the garage unless i am on a long trip, then it is a must have. I removed the top cases on both my LT's that was a 30 minute job to remove and replace case with a luggage rack. Sure helped the looks and handling.

·
Registered
368 Posts
CGameProgrammer said:
I love the styling of the bike and I challenge you guys to find a non-integrated topcases that looks good. Topcases are inherently ugly but are extremely useful, and being able to remove them easily is nice (though admittedly not nearly as important as removing side bags).

Well said and right on!! Can I use your words in the future?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I personally like everything about the looks of the K1600GTL except for the top case. It really does look like an after thought and is only functional.

The top case on the K1200LT looks like it was a part of the original design, but is not functional!

What I mean by functional is that it is easy to remove when you don't need it. Removing the top case from the K1200LT made it seem like a different bike. Handling went from a big fat pig at low speed to a sports car.

Of course, all of my opinions are based upon pictures as I have not seen one in person.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I LOVE the look. Saw it and sat on it in person at the Long Beach show. And, while I agree the top box is a "box" I'd forgo a bit of subjective styling for the fact that it detaches easily. Most often I'll be riding with the luggage off, or just the bags. Long trips and rides with my pillion will be with the top box.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think they should have stayed with the flying brick layout. They could have used a narrow V6 similar to the Horex setup in the February issue of "Cycle World" with the engine layed on it's side and turbo charged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts