BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now clocked up nearly 6000 kms on my K1600 GA and love it except for the "twitch"at about 90 kms and up in the wind. I have been told by a number of people, including salesmen, that the floorboards are the reason for the GA being unstable in the wind and the reason why it has speed limitation set at 100MPH. I find the twitch quite unnerving having come off a very stable RT LC. I can't quite compute this as the Bagger has floorboards but is limited at a higher speed. This seems to take the floorboards out of the equation and tends to implicate the top box. Has anyone taken the floorboards off the GA or B and noted any improvement? If this improves the stability in wind it is a cheap, easy fix. The top box is a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If the footrests are the cause then why didn't the Bagger have the issue? That said, I've heard the twitchyness is caused by the stock Bridgestone tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Rambler358. I agree about the Bagger's floorboards and that's why I suggested that it could be the topbox. I hadn't considered the tyres which gives me cause for hope. That's one good thing about the tyre wear on the K1600 front wheel, it won't be overly long until I need a new one :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
You can unbolt the top box for a test run. But it is not a quick operation.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I have now clocked up nearly 6000 kms on my K1600 GA and love it except for the "twitch"at about 90 kms and up in the wind. I have been told by a number of people, including salesmen, that the floorboards are the reason for the GA being unstable in the wind and the reason why it has speed limitation set at 100MPH. I find the twitch quite unnerving having come off a very stable RT LC. I can't quite compute this as the Bagger has floorboards but is limited at a higher speed. This seems to take the floorboards out of the equation and tends to implicate the top box. Has anyone taken the floorboards off the GA or B and noted any improvement? If this improves the stability in wind it is a cheap, easy fix. The top box is a whole different ball game.
I will have an answer to your question maybe this weekend. Just had installed the Ilium Engine Guards with the Foot Rests and of course the floorboards went away; it will be interesting to see if this changes anything.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I have a stock 2018 B-GA. Just put close to 2,000 miles on it over a few days. Mountain roads to 100mph highway speeds. Sustained speed of 75 to 85mph for serveral hundred miles with very heavy truck traffic on interstate I-81. No issue at all with any stability or movement. True, it's not a solid as the LT, but never once did I experience anything of any concern. Tires are Bridgestone and set to 42psi. Loved the ride!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 7K miles on my GA and have been in various driving conditions. I shredded the front tire (stock Bridgestone) in less than 5K miles which almost never happens. Found out the wheel was not perfectly round (replaced under warranty) which contributed to the premature tire wear and I suspected the unstable handling. After I got the bike back last weekend, I had to do a 200 mile ride for business. On the way down on I-40 at highway speed (70 MPH) the bike became very unstable but it only happened when I was in the wind wake of a large vehicle in front of me (I'm talking up to 1/4 mile in front). So I did my own experiment by backing off and then decreasing the distance and sure enough the closer I got the more unstable it was (which is the same problem I have with my first GTL). I replaced the windshield with a VStream by ZTechnik which did help but not enough. I'd be curious as to how it goes when pkpr1998 finishes his experiment.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
So what were the results?

W/O the floorboards the bike does seem to be more stable; keep in mind that with the floorboards it was still stable but I can tell some difference

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I don't know if I buy the floorboard theory. I have a 99 Suzuki VL1500 Intruder. Big fat tire V twin with Floorboards. Done 100mph plus .But Of course, They aren't mounted as for forward as the GA. An easy test would be pull the boards, then see what you have. Top box?? Who knows??

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I'm betting on the difference to be the top trunk. IIRC, the K1600GT had a higher top speed than the K1600GTL, the difference being the top bag.

Reactions: meese

·
Registered
11 Posts
BMW is prevented from building anything that flies since WW2. They found out that 2 tiny wings could do what the Wright Brothers could not. I have been waiting for someone to find a workaround to the speed limiter so I can be the first to "illegally" fly a BMW over my local town!
Come on guys, look at the laws of aerodynamics. Now do you REALLY think an 800 pound motorcycle would achieve lift off with 2 tiny wings at a strange angle?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts