BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the current K13GT will be (or has been) discontinued, to be replaced by the lighter of the two models of 1,600 cc, 6 cylinder bikes? Apologies if this has already been discussed; if so, I just missed it. Thanx.

- Bob

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I hope not, the K13 GT lighter weight (635lbs)is a big plus.

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
murray said:
I hope not, the K13 GT lighter weight (635lbs) is a big plus.
The K1300S weighs in at a svelte 560 lbs. :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
As much as it pains me to have to tell y'all ... ;)
If you want to buy a 2011 K1300GT, Kawasaki makes a great substitute for thousands less. Oh, and $240 buys you the cruise control that you might be missing.

You're all very welcome. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
As much as it pains me to have to tell y'all ... ;)
If you want to buy a 2011 K1300GT, Kawasaki makes a great substitute for thousands less. Oh, and $240 buys you the cruise control that you might be missing.

You're all very welcome. :)
Now THAT is very funny that is right there! :histerica

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
Joe actually speaks the truth here. And at the same time, you can dump that money-guzzling 5-series and get a Kia instead. They're practically the same exact thing. ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
meese said:
Joe actually speaks the truth here. And at the same time, you can dump that money-guzzling 5-series and get a Kia instead. They're practically the same exact thing. ;)
Naw... The Kia is much more reliable. :)

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Well, Ken. My '86' Connie ran like a scalded cat and maintenance was cheap and infrequent.

The reason I moved to the LT was I needed a touring bike, and NOTHING rides like an LT. :bmw: Now maintenance/cost of ownership, that's another topic and I'm not a 4% er. ;) If I was in the GT market, I would definitely consider both the Connie 14 and the FJR. Don't know what I'd buy but would not be locked in on a Beemer.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well Benny, I owned the LT, the GT, and the C14. All great bikes. But the more I ride the C14, the more I wonder what the pricetag of the GT buys you. Other than "my bike costs more than your bike" bragging rights. ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
or that cheapness in and of itself isn't a virtue, it's just cheap.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
kapod2t said:
or that cheapness in and of itself isn't a virtue, it's just cheap.
There's some truth in that. But let's not forgot that I've already owned the LT and GT. Sometimes a cheaper product is the better one. Or, if nothing else, equal.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I guess the one advantage of them discontinueing the K13GT is that if you ever wanted one there are lots of them on show room floors 20% to 30% cheaper than they were last year. At least up here in Canada, that makes the price pretty competitive with a Connie 14. With 5 years of the same model under their belt, you should be able to buy one with most of the problems worked out. I am thinking of buying a 2010 and waiting for 2 or 3 years to get a 1600GT. I hate being a lab rat and hopefully by then they will have any potential problems fixed. The K13GT is still a really incredible bike.

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
But the more I ride the C14, the more I wonder what the pricetag of the GT buys you.
If you really, truly can't tell any significant difference, then sticking with the "cheaper" option probably is your best bet.

I've ridden all the sport-touring "competitors", and chose the bike I wanted to buy for my own reasons, regardless of what anyone else might presume those reasons are. ;)

If you can honestly say the same thing, then it's all good, isn't it? :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
There's some truth in that. But let's not forgot that I've already owned the LT and GT. Sometimes a cheaper product is the better one. Or, if nothing else, equal.
Hey Joe, Im curious which model GT you had and how you found it.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Back to Bob's question. Well my friend, it looks like the 1200LT and 1300GT, both bikes that you've owned, have gone the way of the dinosaur! I'm beginning to see a correlation here.:think: So, when ya gon'a let some of them moths out of your wallet and order a new 1600?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
dadicool59 said:
Hey Joe, Im curious which model GT you had and how you found it.
I was a part of the "Elite 600". :D In other words, I bought one of the newly released 2006 GTs when they shipped the first lot over. Loved the bike. Didn't like the final drive failing on me in Nevada. Sold it and bought a 2010 Connie.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Naw... The Kia is much more reliable. :)
AT HALF the price, also! :D Who would have imagined that Hyundai would be the new Honda? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Well I’m a new K13GT owner and I got rid of my C14 for it. The C14 was rocket no doubt about it but it wasn’t a comfortable touring bike for me. I previously had a ST1300 and a Road Guild before that; the Kawi was the fastest but the Harley was the most comfortable; the Honda was just heavy. I could not even put on 200 miles in a day on the Kawi but I could do over 850 in day on the Harley. I went with the BMW hoping it was as comfortable as the Harley but with the performance of the Kawi. The Kawi fit and finish (craftsmanship) was just horrible and the BMW is about 50lbs lighter and actually handles better. Is the BMW worth twice the cost? That remains to be seen.

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
Randog said:
.....The Kawi fit and finish (craftsmanship) was just horrible....
I hate to be the one to ask the STUPID questions, BUT, since I do it so well: WHY would you buy a MC with "horrible" fit and finish AND that is uncomfortable? :confused: S and M? :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts