BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the GT in for a physical. Everything is fine. Last item addressed was a recall. Leaky hydraulic reservoir to the front brake. The fix is to install a sponge in the reservoir. Weird. The dealer opened the cap, opened the package and pushed the sponge into the fluid. Not a drop spilled. Cool

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got the letter from BMW and showed up for my appointment and was told that my bike isn't included in the recall.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
It's not a "leaky" hydraulic cylinder, it's a concern that excess vibration could cause the brake fluid to "foam" (take on air) leading to severely reduced braking. The sponge is supposed to minimze that problem.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
barryRT said:
I got the letter from BMW and showed up for my appointment and was told that my bike isn't included in the recall.
Weird. I thought it was all K13 bikes, unless your '09 was built late enough to already have the sponge in place from the factory. That should be an easy check and if you don't have the sponge, I'd read the letter more carefully and probably go find a different dealer . . .

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Geez Ken,

Look again...he's in Canada. You know things don't foam up there...take their beer for instance
:histerica :rotf: :histerica :rotf: :histerica

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the correction. No leak, foaming. If I had taken the wax out of by ears, the Dealer probably said anti foaming sponge.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Interesting-I thought the Sponge was a form of contraception!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
MarinPhil said:
Interesting-I thought the Sponge was a form of contraception!
Now dat's phunny right der! :D

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Elaine bought all the sponges. There are no more .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Time to change dealers, called BMW Motorad and my bike is included in the recall.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
McWideglide said:
Sorry Elaine bought all the sponges. There are no more .
LOL. He's not sponge worthy! :histerica

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let me preface this by saying, overall, I love my K1300GT, it's fast, handles amazing.

Now,

New problem with the GT that is being seen to under a PUMA call. GT Stalls when pulling up and clutch is disengaged. I had it start on my Illinois trip back in May/June. Since then it happened a few more times.

Local San Diego BMW has resolved this, however, as the issue is related to the fuel and air systems I foresee it happening again. A bit of build up is occurring in the throttle bodies and air intakes if I recall correctly.

Only scary thing I had occur was that I had a run on as well when it was out on a tight road. Let's hope that BMW NA does more than shake their collective heads and deny it other than a one off issue.

Tony

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
BMW is well aware of the stalling issue, and is working on it feverishly. That doesn't mean that we'll hear anything concrete about it, even after they develop a permanent fix, but they are working on it. :)

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
My understanding is there is a service bulletin out for the engine stalling issue. MY dealer contact me to let me know it was available since he knew I was experiencing this issue. I'll get it taken care of along with the brake sponge recall when I go in for my 12K service in a month or so.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Apparently, the Service Bulletin for stalling is to clean the throttle bodies. That seems to work for a while on some bikes, but the problem eventually returns. No word yet on a "permanent" fix.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Funny, both right & left switches failed on mine, but not the "normal" failure:

The high beam switch quit on mine, but I could still nudge the switch & the high beam would come on every time. Fixed for me while I had the tires done.

Now the driver seat heat only comes on when it's in the mood. Always turns off when it's supposed to, and almost always works on days when it's in the mood. Of course, it might not be the switch, but the dealer didn't hesitate to order one when I described the problem . . .

I must say it's pretty good luck to have both switches fail without ever experiencing any real inconvenience (failure to start, stalling, inability to signal, etc. . . )

·
Registered
26 Posts
neilgundel said:
Always turns off when it's supposed to . . .
Well, today the hot seat stopped reliably turning off when it's supposed to - this time I had to turn the bike off and on again. I guess I jinxed myself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts