BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current ride is an '06 K12LT. Previously, we had an '02 LT. It seems to me that the performance of the '06 is considerably less than the '02. I believe that power, torque, speed and fuel consumption are all significantly less on the '06. Is this my imagination, or if it's real, are there any suggestions to get the performance increased? Would greatly appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then." - Jimmy Buffett

·
Registered
866 Posts
My 05 Was "Soft" on power until it broke in and now it flies...

Very much smoother than my buddies 03, he says so also....

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 05 and newer LT have the 116 HP engine but also have different gearing as compared to the earlier models. I believe that the prior LT's were 96 HP. Strange that you should find less power on a newer model. how many miles on the 06?

Ken

·
Registered
835 Posts
05 Lt

Prior to buying my 05 Lt, I test rode an 02 LT then an 05 LT on same day. I was coming off a 99 K1200RS. I was not impressed with the power of the 02, but then when I got on the 05 I returned to the dealer with a smile on my face. The power increase on the 05 was very noticable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a used 05 with 2,400 on the clock. Yesterday I borrowed a new LT from the dealer with a tall windscreen to test the windscreen. The new bike was much less responsive, slower, I assumed the difference was due to not being run in. I traded from a K1200RS and love the LT - surprisingly easier in turning, great performance alone or 2 up. If I had based my decision on a test ride of a new LT it would not have been as easy a buying decision.

The winscreen by the way was of no help - wobbly (very distracting) and just as much buffeting/noise as the euro stock. I ordered a Z Technik V stream. (I'm 6'3 by the way).

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I just got home from a trip to Utah last night with the 05' LT and we did some speed runs and had the LT to about 135 on the speedo and the GPS read 127mph.

·
Registered
628 Posts
dmatson said:
I just got home from a trip to Utah last night with the 05' LT and we did some speed runs and had the LT to about 135 on the speedo and the GPS read 127mph.
Your speedo is only off by 5-6% at 135? Mine is off by10-15% easy at anything over 100. :think:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
atrovarious said:
Your speedo is only off by 5-6% at 135? Mine is off by10-15% easy at anything over 100. :think:
The speedo on my 99 and my 03 were off by about 10% while on my 05 I got busted at 92 while the speedo said 98, so there seems to be a little more accuracy on the newer models (sure didn't do me any good though...:rolleyes: ).

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
My '05 speedo is off by appx 3.5 mph no matter what speed is indicated. 40 on the speedo is about GPS 36.5 . 60 on speedo is about GPS 56.5mph. Not a % amount. On the speedo the actual is about one dash above the indicated.
My .02

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Had an 02 until it was schmucked. Our 07 is better: much improved headlite, more power, smoother, more comfortable seat, more comfortable ride, AND I can flat-foot it! Don't get me wrong, we were quite happy with the 02. Just that the new one is better.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
To make my 99LT handle like a new one I had to add a Remus Exhaust, Rhinewest Chip, Ohlins shocks, and aftermarket lighting. The new Lt is still better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
'06 LT Speed/Power

Thanks to all of you for your time and input. This '06 has 16,000 miles on it and it definitely has less quickness off the line, less pick up through the gears and less top end than the '02 had. Must just be this bike. I had the service manager at BMW North Houston tell me that, due to government add-ons, the newer models are slower than the older models, that I should consider removing the catalytic converter, installing a performance muffler and a chip. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Sounds like he is trying to sell you something. There are no goverment add ons, except tax! I guess they could have taxed the extra horsepower! I don't think there are any chips for the 05' and later models. Rhinewest makes a set of cam gears for the later one, I have a set on my 05'. My speedo is off by about 3 to 4 MPH and when I was going 127 on the GPS the speedo needle was close to 135 as I glanced at it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Well, MY '01 will smoke any '05 out there 'cause it's Mauve and EVERYONE knows Mauve is the fastest color! :eek:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
beemercowboy said:
I had the service manager at BMW North Houston tell me that, due to government add-ons, the newer models are slower than the older models, that I should consider removing the catalytic converter, installing a performance muffler and a chip. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sounds like your service manager needs a little education, beginning with '05 model, IIRC, there is no chip change, you have to change the cam sprockets. I believe the sprockets are by Rhinewest and the exhaust would be Rhemus. JM2CW

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
jwb4207 said:
Careful there Jack I know that bike!!!!!!!

Yea, I know you do, but after I bought it from you and subsequently removed twenty pounds of dirt...it really flies! And, all that time you thought it was brown! :histerica

Just Jack!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts