BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I got the parts from MotoBins. about $60 in savings, but I got the heavy duty, oil resistant clutch.
Once I get the floor situation on my new car port sorted, I will start the disassembly so by the time the parts arrive, I'm ready.
The only crucial part not available was the O-Ring. Beecher sent me one, and got another one just in case.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
next week I start, wish me luck

Reactions: saddleman

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,426 Posts
Remember leave the FR switch assy ON the shaft of the transmission and undo the connector when you drop the transmission. It is very easy to damage if you pull it off the shaft. We are here for you!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
OMG!!!
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Remember leave the FR switch assy ON the shaft of the transmission and undo the connector when you drop the transmission. It is very easy to damage if you pull it off the shaft. We are here for you!
Sorry, I'm not a wrench. What's a FR switch? The only thing I can think of is forward-reverse but sounds unlikely.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Sorry, I'm not a wrench. What's a FR switch? The only thing I can think of is forward-reverse but sounds unlikely.
Yes, it is the forward reverse switch. There are some very fragile tips on those switches that can easily break off during removal and installation so it is simply better to leave them on. I don't have a pic to post but I know John does showing what he is talking about.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,426 Posts
Here it is.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I finally got all of the parts today.
Some from EME, and most from MotoBins UK.
That clutch looks wimpy!!!
The sachs bits looks sturdy, but I cannot get past the look and feel of the clutch. It's extremely light and the fiber feels so squishy.
I got the "heavy duty / oil resistant" clutch.
Anyway, hope it's up task.
I modded a wall, so I can get the LT in my house (don't have a garage).
I'll get more intimate with her in no time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So today I was in the city and when pushing in 3rd the clutch started slipping.
The bike has 28k miles (45k km). Seems early...
though in the last trip I had to use a LOT of clutch going through 10 km of mud. And back.

If I need to replace it. Any recommendations?
Any other stuff to do ?
How can I check? Other than disassembly ?

When your fixing the leaking seals etc etc replace the clutch with the oil resistant one. I forgot now who had them but I have had that clutch on my 2000 for many years now with NO problems!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
When your fixing the leaking seals etc etc replace the clutch with the oil resistant one. I forgot now who had them but I have had that clutch on my 2000 for many years now with NO problems!
Yeah, I got the NEWFREN oil resistant clutch (posted a pic in the previous post).
I haven't gotten around starting the job though...

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
When I did mine, I used the Siebenrock oil proof from Beamer Boneyard. It has been good so far. No experience with the NEWFREN brand.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
When I did mine, I used the Siebenrock oil proof from Beamer Boneyard. It has been good so far. No experience with the NEWFREN brand.
NEWFREN is not really well known in America - they are in Italy and are better represented by distributors in Europe. They make brake-pads, brake-discs and clutch-plates (dry and wet).
Link to their main page in English:

Link for the K1200RS/LT clutch friction plate - note 2 models are available - the "F1497 K" is regular while the "F1497 KW" is the so-called oil proof

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah, I got the NEWFREN oil resistant clutch (posted a pic in the previous post).
I haven't gotten around starting the job though...
It's been some time so remember to drill the slave weep hole, especially if not replacing the slave.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
next week I start, wish me luck
Good luck and if you are really bored some evening before you start, you can review my saga with my 2007 a few years ago.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks man!
I’ll go through it for sure

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Thanks man!
I’ll go through it for sure

When you see how long that thread is, you may not want to thank me anymore!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts