BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that big of a deal, but the windshield on my 2007 K1200LT shakes some if your on a highway that is not perfectly smooth. The top 2" move enough to distort your vision. In otherwords, you can't really look through the top 2 inches normally, you have to have the windshield down enough to look over it, or up enough so your vision isn't obscured.
Does anyone know of any fix, such as maybe a steal edge to retard the vibration?
I appreciate any responses.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This most likely is not it... but when I was on my long ride this summer I tend to listen to every little creek in the bike. Well when you spend 10 - 12 hrs a day for 5 days (one way)... you get board.

I did notice a vibration in the widshield when the air pressure in my tire was not optimum. it wasn't the blur your experiencing but it was noticable

Mtz 880's

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Since you have an 07 I assume you have the stock tall shield. It should not vibrate at all. With it slightly raised grab the top and try to wiggle it, watch where the silver covers are. If you see movement the screws are loose. Grab the plastic chrome cover from the side and pull the inboard side towards you with authority. It will pop off with a horendous sound (all is well) then you can tighten (not really hard) the loose screws. Snap the cover back on in the reverse order - outboard first and snap to center.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
do some checking

Windshield should not flutter in the wind.

You have a loose screw, low tire pressures, or maybe a wheel out of balance.

The LT is smooth as silk. If it isn't, there is something wrong somewhere.

Just my opinion, of course. :bmw:

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
I have had this problem on my 03'. I pull the screw covers and tighten the screws gently and problem solved....until they loosen again :mad:
Good luck

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
buy 4 new screws

gglove said:
I have had this problem on my 03'. I pull the screw covers and tighten the screws gently and problem solved....until they loosen again :mad:
Good luck
Buy 4 new screws which have the proper thread loc on them and you're good to go. Torque them once and they stay.

·
Registered
579 Posts
BMW NC (National Cycle) Distortion

The top 2" distort your vision. In otherwords said:
Is the modified quote still true. Does your distortion look like the parking lot lines in the photo, of a new replacement BMW stocked shield, manufactured in 2007?
It will have a "NC" on the bottom center of the shield!!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, never really noticed anything like that. I'll have to try that come summer. The windshield vibrates or shakes a bit if the road isn't perfectly smooth. It's seems as though the windshield is a bit too flexible considering it is held by two mounts. A LT I test road at a ride thing also did the same thing, so I assumed it is just poor design. With the curve in the top of the windshield, it acts a bit like a lense as in your picture, and therefore when it shakes or vibrates a bit, it obscures your vision. If you reach your hand out and hold it and stop the flutter, its fine. I haven't checked the mounts yet, I doubt if they're loose but will definitely have a look at that. If all our highways were really smooth there would be no issue. The windshield would be steady. Other than that, the bike is smooth. The wheels are not out of balance.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
wilbar00c said:
Is the modified quote still true. Does your distortion look like the parking lot lines in the photo, of a new replacement BMW stocked shield, manufactured in 2007?
It will have a "NC" on the bottom center of the shield!!
Hi Barnett

"NC" stands for National Cycle. The shield is made for BMW in the US. It does not fog up as the made-in-Deutschland shields often did. But some of them have distortion, as you've noticed. If it's a new part, or still under warranty, ask the dealer for a new one.

- Bob

·
Registered
579 Posts
Warranty was approved, Bob. My local dealer has two others from the same shipment that are also distorted. The dealer also has a 08 on the floor that was shipped to him with a NC distorted shield. It's a "Catch 22" for me. I'm back to riding with the original with a credit at the dealer, as I refuse to accept another distorted shield, and the dealer does not want to order any more since he has two in stock. Yes I have been in contact with NC in IL, and BMW in NJ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts