BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 K1200LT need to replace the windshield it lost it clarity tried cleaning it and polishing it and still looks like crap my windshield is 24 inch on center found a 26 inch on center does this size fit a 2000 model..thanks for any info

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
printman said:
I have a 2000 K1200LT need to replace the windshield it lost it clarity tried cleaning it and polishing it and still looks like crap my windshield is 24 inch on center found a 26 inch on center does this size fit a 2000 model..thanks for any info
The key to fitting is the location of the mounting holes that are drilled thru any windshield designed for the K12. You should verify from your source that the shield has been fitted to a K12, or at least obtain the dimensions at the drilled holes and match that info to your mounting arms or your windshield. The heighth of the shield you have in mind will lift the air over your helmet a bit more than your current shield. Of course, you can mitigate that with the push button!! Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
printman said:
going to try the alcohol. do I just wipe it on
I use de-natured alcohol, available from my local pharmicist in small quantities. Spot soak a clean cloth and rub it on in short strokes, then finish up with a clean, dry cloth. What the alcohol does is remove/reduce the moisture in the overlay film. Similar to WD-40, which I've also used on ole Toad's shield with some success. After the alcohol or WD-40 treatment, I use a high-silicone content spray and go over the shield - again with a shot on the shield and a good rubbing with a clean, dry cloth 'til it shines like new. Sometimes, if your shield has scratches, the silicone treatment will temporarily fill in the fine ones (won't help the deep, wide ones).

·
Registered
676 Posts
I use pledge on my windshield after cleaning it with denatured alcohol, available at Ace hardware.

·
Registered
77 Posts
printman said:
If the suggestions of alcohol don't work, I highly recommend the Cee Bailey's windshields. The original owner of my 1st LT had installed one with the reverse contour and I took for granted the lack of distortion and easy of maintenance. Great product.

My 2nd (used) LT has the OEM windshield and it is a piece of crap. I now appreciate what I had previously. Too distorted to see through and chronic "hazing" problem. With payment of county and school taxes behind me for the year and some custom cabinetry installed, order to Cee Bailey's will be made soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts