BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions about the 1200LT. I am looking at a 2006 with 25k miles on it. I noticed a couple of things when test driving it. At startup it smoked for 30 seconds or so but I believe I have heard that that is the nature of this beast. What concerned me more was there was quite a bit of black oil soot just below the tip of the exhaust, I don't think I have ever seen this before on a K1200LT. With 25K on it what can I expect for future problems. Dealer asking 10K for it but I am more inclined to offer him 9K.
I would appreciate any help/advice I can get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Blue smoke is perfectly normal if bike was parked on side stand, and black soot on exhaust is by-product of fuel and catalytic converter, also normal

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have some questions about the 1200LT. I am looking at a 2006 with 25k miles on it. I noticed a couple of things when test driving it. At startup it smoked for 30 seconds or so but I believe I have heard that that is the nature of this beast. What concerned me more was there was quite a bit of black oil soot just below the tip of the exhaust, I don't think I have ever seen this before on a K1200LT. With 25K on it what can I expect for future problems. Dealer asking 10K for it but I am more inclined to offer him 9K.
I would appreciate any help/advice I can get.
I probably would lowball him with 8K.

Robert

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
The black soot is there on ALL LTs it is because the ECU runs open loop, full rich on cold starts. It cleans off but it always comes back. Go for it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use a little heavy cut polish followed up by some light cut polish to get the black soot off the tailpipe. Think that is why you don't see it on others. :)

Depends a little on your part of the country on what you can get the bike for. Is it a BMW dealer? If not, you may be able to get it a little less. My old BMW dealer used to offer a 10 month warranty his used BWM bikes so they cost more because of that. Bought both mine from private parties and got them quite a bit cheaper when I would have from the dealer.

May want to see if there have been any upgrades done to it. Things like stainless steel brake lines of suspension upgrades may add some value. Other farkels I don't really count into the price unless they are really a value to me.

Good luck! Hope you can get it for a great price. It's an awesome bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
do not let her get away, the brick is all the bike any one could desire, do not fear her weight, others are just as heavy , once under way you will be amazed at her agility , and speed, took a couple weeks to get used to her at low speeds and I have to say I could not have picked a better bike, especially when you consider all the creature comforts she affords the rider! just my 2cents worth slate:dance: 6? bridgestone 90 7? Honda sl 100 72 bultaco pursang, 74 bultaco pursang 125 god knows what year bsa 650 firebird scrambler, 77 Yamaha 750 2 d 2000 bmw k 1200 lt

·
Registered
242 Posts
An 06 for $10K seems a little high, but may be ok for your area. As for the blue smoke, totally normal as others have said. Same for the soot. I would look the bike over and see what add-on's it has. A set of arm rests are $3-400, a custom seat (Corbin, Russell Day Long, etc) can be $500-1000. A rack for the trunk $100-300, SS brake lines $250, Olins or Wilbers shocks and what ever else is there. I would not include these at full value, but this is what it would cost you to get them new. So, if it has these items, and you want them, it would justify a slightly higher price than if it is all stock.
What ever you decide, it will take you a few weeks to learn to handle it and then you will fall in love with it.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I assume it is a BMW dealer selling the bike? There was a recall on the rear brake rotor and the dealers changed the 10 bolt to a five bolt rotor to stop the brake squeal at no cost to owner. See if that was done. May not sound like much but even the best bike in the worlds ride experience is diminished every time your stopping and the rotor produces that horrible squeal.
Also make sure you see that all services have been done. You have them in your hand until after you give them the check, after that your own your own.
I would think 10K is to much, urbanhermit had the right number at 8K and shoot for 8,500 tops. I also like the suggestion of negotiating a limited warranty period. Ask for the moon all they can do is say no. There are plenty of good bikes for sale out there.

Good Luck, they are fantastic bikes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts