BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience of riding both the K1200LT and the GL1800 Goldwing? I just wondered what the ride performance was like between the two? I currently have 2 Triumph Rocket 3s which have power and torque like no other bike on the road, but I did have a 1520cc Valkyrie for a time.

Anyways - whats the real performance difference likely to be?

·
Registered
475 Posts
GL1800=Hillary Clinton
K1200LT=Hillary Swank

The GL has a bigger engine, but only generates 101hp, where the LT at 1200cc generates 116. The GL is a good bike, but it can't handle the curves like the LT can, it's a bit more sporty and funner to drive than the GL.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was a little shocked to learn the LT has more HP and Torque then the GW.
The GW is a good comfortable bike it just isn't made to do what the LT can do which is burn through corners. I think its all a matter of what you want a Cadillac or a BMW.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Caveno said:
GL1800=Hillary Clinton
K1200LT=Hillary Swank

The GL has a bigger engine, but only generates 101hp, where the LT at 1200cc generates 116. The GL is a good bike, but it can't handle the curves like the LT can, it's a bit more sporty and funner to drive than the GL.
:rotf: How true! Even though I haven't ridden a wing. It brings up a point though. Over a year ago when I was shopping for a touring bike, Honda and Yamaha were knocked out of the running very quickly because of the many dealers in my area NONE would allow a test ride, not even in the parking lot. Victory, BMW and Harley all encouraged test rides. It was interesting the responses I got when I asked "How long?"

• Victroy: "Take it for a half hour or 45 minute ride."
  • BMW: "An hour to hour and a half would be OK."
  • Harley: "It's got nearly a full tank. We close at 6."

·
Registered
89 Posts
I took it upon myself to ride both before buying. I don't know if there are many differences on bikes you would encounter on your side of the pond, but here is my quick assessment.
If torque is your main criteria, the Wing wins, but only slightly. The Wing motor (and bike in general) is real happy cruising around at parking lot speeds and in stop and go in-town traffic. The LT is not as happy there, but still quite manageable. On the highway, the LT is in more of it's element. You can find a million threads on LT seats, but the ones I have ridden ('05 and later) have fine seats.....for my butt anyway. The Wing seat is more like a bucket...like a tractor seat...and the edge absolutely tortures my thighs to the point I don't want to ride after an hour. The LT seat slopes away at the thighs...more like riding a horse...and works a thousand times better for me. My wife reported that both bikes were quite comfortable seat wise from her perspective.
Protection from the elements? Again, because of it's versatility, the edge goes to the LT. If you ever ride in rain or bad weather, being able to adjust the windshield on the fly is honestly a life saver. It also works great in varying wind conditions to find the sweet spot so you don't get all tired and battered. Radio, accessories, storage, stuff like that? Pretty close, but the LT has all the ports to plug in your electric garb and the cruise control is in a league of it's own. plus it's easier to use.
Handling? You need to know that while the Wing does indeed handle well, it is just not in the same category as the LT. Both bikes can be hustled down the road fully loaded, but when push comes to shove the LT will out corner and outrun the Wing every time. Unlike many members of this forum, I don't run my LT at 7 grand all the time, preferring the 3 grand range......and I almost always ride two up, fully loaded....and I have never felt down on power or torque.......even when riding in the mountains.......and passing Gold Wings.
If I have to ride a thousand miles in rain and wind and crappy weather, there is no other bike except the LT.
It just 'feels' better. My choice was to put my hard earned money into the LT.......and I have never, ever wished that I had bought a Wing instead.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I owned two different year LT's. I found the 2005 to handle much better than the 2003. However, I do not think the LT holds a candle to the 1800 Gold Wing. I own a GW now and am sorry that I did not buy it sooner.

Contrary to the other opinions, the Wings torque is much better and the bike is a dream to ride. It will out handle the LT in all categories. The sound system is much better on the GW, the GPS is easier to operate and does not wash out in the sunlight. The instrumentation does not wash out in the sunlight. The Wing handles MUCH better in foul weather, heavy winds and bad roads.

You will not have to worry about the slow speed handling...AT ALL! At highway speeds above 70 mph with two up, it gets better mileage than the LT with a full load. The LT does get much better mileage with one up though.

I had no problems in getting a test ride. There are also more dealers out there if you ever do need one. The GW has been in production for 30 years....the LT is on the way out after less than 10.

These comments are usually followed up by childish cheap shots from the local self proclaimed Gurus of the LT...however, this site does provide excellent technical information.

Also, the cost of maintainance on the GW is nothing compared to the BMW. I have a 6 year unlimited mileage policy that fixes all problems and does full tune ups and oil changes for a total payment of $1,200. That is unlimited oil changes and full mechanical coverage.

If you want to do your own maint...it is sooooo much easier on the GW. There is no reason in this day and age for a machine to require the tinkering that the LT seems to like.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The wing wins in one category - reliability. Nothing is as reliable as a Honda. But the LT's are pretty good.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i can say the maint costs on my 02 LT up until 135k miles (rip) we're unreal.

I'm not sure if I'll buy another 2up bike and if so, if it will be another LT or not. I liked the bike and all, just seems insane what it takes to get 135k out of a bike when compared to other similar bikes. 'What for' comes to mind.

I ride, don't get to tinker much these days so I have to farm out the maintenance.

time to get to a bike show and see whats out there these days.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Kra961 said:
I was a little shocked to learn the LT has more HP and Torque then the GW.
The GW is a good comfortable bike it just isn't made to do what the LT can do which is burn through corners. I think its all a matter of what you want a Cadillac or a BMW.
What is shocking is that you can type that with a straight face (I was looking at Curley at the time :D ).

The torque numbers of the LT don't come close to approaching those of the Wing. In fact, the Wing makes more torque just off idle (89 pounds/feet @ 1500 rpm) than the LT does at peak. The Wing's torque peaks at 104.

The HP numbers are quite similar between the two bikes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yikes you you're right LOL what the heck was I reading 123.2 ft lbs vs 92

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
DaveDragon said:
I own both, I ride the GL.
Why own a bike you don't ride?

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you've ridden them both (I have, but not that much), you're going to go wtih what makes you feel better. Both bikes are great for long-distance tours. So whatever makes you happy. For me, the Gold Wing has a lower center of gravity and is easier at parking-lot speeds. They both feel good on the freeway. I chose the LT because, to me, it looks better and feels right. But I think you can find satisfaction with either one. Very subjective.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The GL is a fine bike but I prefer my '05 LT. I feel like I'm sitting in the GL whereas the LT feels like I'm on it. There's lots of good advice here, good luck with your purchase. It's all about the ride.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a 2006 Goldwing and I put 6500 miles on it and sold it. It was way too heavy for me, I did not like the constant engine wine and the seat is terrible if you ride more than 100 miles. Also it was terrible to handle on windy days. Other than the dated looks it was easy to maintain. I was never more happy to sell a bike than that GW. I considered a BMW before I bought the GW but my friend who had a new GW kept after me to buy the GW and was giving me all kinds of horror stories about BMW's. Well, I listened to him and bought the wing. I realized after about 1000 to 1500 miles that I had made a mistake. I was in DesMoines, Iowa getting gas and a guy approached me and asked me how I liked my GW. I told him it was ok and I had it for sale. He wanted one to make a trike out of and offered me $500 less than I was asking. He was at my house the next day with a check and I was searching for a BMW. I ended up with a RT but I am anxious to see what the 2011 LT is going to be like. Take note that Honda will also have a new GW for 2011.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have owned two GL1800s and now on my second LT. I have ridden about 165,000 miles on the wings and 75,000 miles on the LTs.

I have to say that I like both bikes a lot for different reasons. If I was to replace the LT tomorrow I would have to think hard which one I would buy.

The nicest thing about the wing is its engine. It is better hands down at any rpm or speed! The LT wins hands down in the handling dept. except for slow, parking lots speeds.

I didn't spend one dime on the wings except for routine servicing; and had great luck out of my first LT. I hope my second LT is as good. So, I haven't had the issue of my LTs not being reliable like some have.

That said, I would just say that I would not consider buying a new LT. They can be had too cheap used. I bought both of mine used. The opposite is true of the wings. They hold their value so well you might as well buy new. I sold both of my wings, which I had purchased new, with about 80,000 miles on them and got about 70% of what I paid for them. You can find used LTs with just a few thousand miles on them for about 50% of their new selling price.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,988 Posts
Voyager said:
Why own a bike you don't ride?
Nothing wrong with having the best of both. I'd love to have a Wing under warranty with a back-up LT :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
slmorley said:
I have owned two GL1800s and now on my second LT. I have ridden about 165,000 miles on the wings and 75,000 miles on the LTs.

I have to say that I like both bikes a lot for different reasons. If I was to replace the LT tomorrow I would have to think hard which one I would buy.

The nicest thing about the wing is its engine. It is better hands down at any rpm or speed! The LT wins hands down in the handling dept. except for slow, parking lots speeds.

I didn't spend one dime on the wings except for routine servicing; and had great luck out of my first LT. I hope my second LT is as good. So, I haven't had the issue of my LTs not being reliable like some have.

That said, I would just say that I would not consider buying a new LT. They can be had too cheap used. I bought both of mine used. The opposite is true of the wings. They hold their value so well you might as well buy new. I sold both of my wings, which I had purchased new, with about 80,000 miles on them and got about 70% of what I paid for them. You can find used LTs with just a few thousand miles on them for about 50% of their new selling price.
I agree with you totally. I do like the LT but in terms of reliability I would trust the GW ( Honda ) much more.
In the past 10 years I have owned 2 Valkyries I/S, and although they aren't as sophisticated as the 1800 GWs I haven't had a single problem with either one, ever.
I bought my 2005 LT with only 3200 miles in August for less than $10K. You couldn't possibly find a four years old GW in similar condition for less than $17K.
But I do love the handling of the LT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hired a new Wing for one day before buying my LT. I loved it, however...
Personally, I found that the wing was just too cumbersome around UK roads. Even with the suspension pumped up to the max, I was always grinding the 'pegs' on roundabouts. The LT is more to my tastes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I traded in my 2000 Honda Valkyrie for my 2009 LT. I do love the LT, but I do miss the Valkyrie. If honda still made the Valkyrie, I would have bought another one over the LT. It has a very low center of gravity and is incredibly reliable. Since the Valkyrie and the Goldwing shared the same engine (except the goldwing had the 1800 and the Valk had the 1532 since the last year they made it was 2003) I have a lot of confidence in the flat six engine. The valk was the easiest bike anyone could maintain. Everything was easily accessible. I am no gear-head, but valve adjustments, oil changes, final drive fluid changes, were so simple anyone could do it. If the goldwing is this easy to maintain, once the plastic is gone, then it has to be a great bike. The looks of the goldwing just didn't do it for me. I love the looks of the LT, but the black bitch is top heavy....but I still love her..

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The local Honda dealer gave me a Wing to ride when he found out I was considering trading my Midnight Venture. I rode it but I never liked it. It was just all wrong for me. I love my LT and nothing has ever been as much fun to ride as the LT. I'm going to wear this bike out and ride it as long as it will run. But I'm not sure I could ever buy another one. I've spent more on this bike than all my other bikes combined. Had I not been able to do the work on it myself, I would have gotten rid of it. It would have been a money pit. I love this bike but when I hit the road I know there's a chance I'l be coming home in a Penske truck again. I have never considered that on another bike........... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 123 Posts