BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Im new here and to the lt. loving the bike though.

Ive just done the clearances on the valves and two inlets are a little tight at.013 and .014 is this is problem?

The exhaust are spot on at.025 .

Do i need to ajust them.

Thanks

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Andrew!

If you haven't already, I would recommend that you watch the Illinois BMW riders club video on Valve Clearance Check for some pointers (go to illinoisbmwriders.com). At the 18 minute mark of Part 2 of the video series on valve check, Kirk addresses your issue in relation to having tight valves. Hope this helps!

:bmw:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
if they are tight Fix them now, they will only get worse no point in burning out valves when you only have another hour or so to fix it properly. as above watch the video's they are just great for the new owner

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi

Im new here and to the lt. loving the bike though.

Ive just done the clearances on the valves and two inlets are a little tight at.013 and .014 is this is problem?

The exhaust are spot on at.025 .

Do i need to ajust them.

Thanks

Andrew
Hi Andrew - Welcome to the forum, it is an awesome resource that's taught me a lot.

Good to check your valves as a baseline - how many miles on your bike? I first checked mine a year ago at 17,000 miles and one intake was a bit tight at 0.005" = 0.13 mm. I think your stated values are off a decimal point but I get your drift. I was on the fence about adjusting it verses monitoring it until next check 12,000 miles later. Being on the intake side is less critical since there is no risk of burning the valves unlike the exhaust. In the end I decided to pull both cam shafts to measure all buckets for future reference and change out the tight one while in there. In my case I changed a 2.95 to 2.90 which brought it into the middle of the range at 0.18 mm. I made up an excel table with all valve buckets and clearances to future reference (I don't have it on this computer but will post it up when I'm on my other one).

So it's your call and not critical either way. If you do decide to dive in further post up what buckets you need and someone here may be able to help you out. I have a few in my pile of LT stuff.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Thanks very much Jim,my bike has 36k 2007 ,I'm unsure now what to do?
I was in the same dilemma with two tight valves and several marginal. I bit the bullet and adjusted them all to max clearance. I figure I will check them again in the future and if they have not changed it will be a long time before I check them again.

Robert

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
One more vote for changing them. Then no worries. And while your there, I suspect you will find a bad ignition wire or two which Beemerboneyard can help you with.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
Ditto you have two that are out of spec. But if you want to postpone, I worked on a bike that had 4 intakes that were run for some time at 0.002" and one at 0.0015". Intakes are less prone to burning, but I always keep mine "in spec".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts