BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I had been doing a big maintenance job, all fluids, filters, ect... I was going to put off checking my valves but I've never done it and my 2000 has 57K+ miles on her. I also don't know if the previous owner ever had them checked. So as long as I had everything off, I dove right in. Now I've read every link possible it seems on checking my valves but as I checked these, I found all of the intake side are less than the minimum .006" and the exhaust are all within the limits (.010-.011" each). On the intake side, my measurements are as follows;
1a=.004", 1b= .004", 2a=.005", 2b=.004", 3a=.004", 3b=.004", 4a=.005" and 4b=.003"

Now my plugs all look good but #4 does look a little sooty and that valve clearance happens to be the slimmest at .003".

Am I missing something here with all the intake less than the set limits and all the exhaust within the set limits? The previous owner ran regular Castrol 20w-50 from the local discount store and I've just switched to synthetic. He did his own maintenance and I'm sure he kept up on the oil changes and stuff so I am not in anyway looking back. He said he always ran regular gas.

In all the threads I heard of changing a few buckets here and there but not all on the intake and none on the exhaust.

Looking for any input before I pull the cam and change them out.

Can I just pull one cam and leave the other as it sits?

Also if someone lives in the Green Bay, WI area and wants to stop by before I pull a cam, I have beer and food!

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized I missed one step :( I pulled the sparkplugs before measuring. I just read a thread that carbon can fall and get stuck between a open exhaust valve and the seat. Can roll the tire around a few times and recheck the exhaust just to make sure that didn't happen? :confused:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The recommended procedure is to NOT remove the plugs, but frankly most valve adjustments/checks are probably done with plugs removed. The probability of carbon falling and getting stuck right there on an open exhaust valve seat is more likely rare than common.
And...being that all yours are consistent, they are probably correct readings (an assumption, I know). But, you don't have any abnormal ones. If I were you, I would adjust the needed intake valves and be done with it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jack,

It was your post from 08/2006 that I saw the "Don't remove the plugs" reply. Can I just wrap the timing chains and only remove the intake cam?

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,926 Posts
wsp310 said:
Thanks Jack,

It was your post from 08/2006 that I saw the "Don't remove the plugs" reply. Can I just wrap the timing chains and only remove the intake cam?

John
Yes but don't forget to wrap the exhaust cam gear as well, don't ask why I know this.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would pull both and be done with it. It will give you more of the existing buckets to relocate and reuse. Get to the loose side of the spec. I did all of mine at 60k and reuse 10 or 11 and only had to buy 5 or 6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts