BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow riders! :wave
I have been riding my 2000 K1200LT since 2004 and thoroughly enjoy it. I perform all my own maintenance so I'm pretty competent on the bike's ins and outs, but I've got a problem that is baffling me. :confused: And it doesn't help that the dealer is closed on Sunday/Monday.
5 days ago I completed a nice ride and pulled into the garage with no issues, so I know the bike was running good. Yesterday I disconnected the battery to do some minor work on the bike, only to discover I didn't have all the parts I needed. I reconnected the battery and went to start it, and the bike immediately revved up to 6000rpm and won't come down. If I open the throttle it will redline (I only did this once).

I've performed what I think is the TPS reset (turn on the ignition, fully open/close the throttle 3 times) but this did not do the trick. I disconnected/reconnected the battery again and performed another TPS, same issue.

I've replaced batteries several times and have never seen this issue. Nothing was done to the bike from the time I shut it down 5 days ago to yesterday which is why I'm so baffled.

Have any of you seen this before? Any ideas?
I'll be pulling the skins off tonight looking for the obvious.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
Unless a cable has broken and is jamming the throttle, or something has gotten in there to jam the rail on the throttle bodies, I suspect your TPS (or throttle actuator) has crapped out.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You should be able to hear the TBs bottom out as they close without the engine started. Do you have the upgraded cables? How deep were you into the engine? John may be correct, but I doubt that a bad TPS would take you to redline (but I've been wrong before). Any chance you pinched a cable or something similar? More info please.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Throttle plates are stuck open. You must've opened the throttles when you were working on the bike. If the plates were closed... The engine couldn't possibly reach 6000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
That happened to me on my first 2000 K1200LT. Quite a surprise. Hit the kill switch and was able to break loose whatever was holding the throttle open after fiddling with the throttle on the side of the road. Got to my dealer very carefully. And my good dealer informed me that there was a bulletin/fix for that problem at no expense. One of those bulletins where if the customer doesn't complain - don't fix. Cost was about $1400. All the throttle cables were replaced. This was years ago and forgot the details.
Check with your good dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@rhawk, @agfrava,
You were right on the money with the throttle plates stuck open. After pulling the tupperware off, and reading your post, I used a small hammer and long screwdriver to tapped around the throttle body. I heard a slight click as I did this. I started the bike up and, voilà, she idled properly.

I'll definitely call the dealer tomorrow and mention the problem and the service bulletin.

BTW, I know the root cause of this issue too. I have a 6yr old who likes to "ride" the bike when I'm not home. :rolleyes: She must have gone racing!
Thanks again!

I'll post again once I hear from the dealer.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have to admit I would not let my 6yr grand kid sit on the bike when I was not there that might be asking for more trouble hope it is on the center stand which I sure you do right:bmw:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts