BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning fellow KLT'ers,

Here is something I've been thinking about:

I LOVE my LT as a road bike, purchased new (2000) and have done major work on it to improve the reliability, etc. (won't mention the list, but rear main seal, clutch, etc.). However, you can't give them away!! Yep, I tried!! :( I talked to a dealer about trading my LT for a K1600B. When I asked about the cost of the first scheduled maintenance i was told in the neighborhood of $900!! WHAT!!

The LT is probably one of the best machines (opinion) BMW has built for passenger comfort and long distance travel (my wife loved it - and yes we tried the GTL when they came out - she said NO!!). HOWEVER, to work on one is a major undertaking and extremely costly if you can't do it yourself. This has been reinforced as I have a close friends K1200RS on my lift for a rear main seal/clutch/etc.

Now a question: IF the LT is a complicated mouse trap for maintenance, how much more so are the new models? Are motorcycle manufactures building "throw away" machines?? Hopefully my ancient airhead R100RS will last the remainder of my "riding life". :) AND before you ask, I'm 77 1/2 and still riding the LT!! :)

I need more coffee this snowy, Colorado, morning. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
That K1600B is nice, but will lose 6K riding it out of the dealer driveway. The K1200 might be costly to service, but at the rate the new ones depreciate, is it really that costly? I see GTL's for 11 and 12K all the time with 6 or 7K miles on the clock. That means it already lost 15K in value in 5 or 6 short years. I have to say that getting a used GTL is intriguing at those prices. No way I am getting a new one at 28K! I doubt the GTL is harder to work on than the K1200LT, but just as expensive!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts