BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

brand new to forum, to forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place or anything. I am in desperate need of some advice from people I should imagine have seen it all before!

Starting at the beginning... I acquired a 1999 K1200LT from a distant family friend. He said " after about ten miles, it just conked out, and battery keeps shorting". I gathered from a quick Internet that the culprit was probably the starter relay, and once checked, and bashed, all the electrics worked fine.

After this, I was able to check the starter... very sluggish, so I took that to mean it had burnt out when the relay had fused. Next step, get to starter. All going fine, up until swing arm pivot bolts. All other bolts of the same torque came out no problem, but both left and right seem to be royally stuck, and no amount of heat, lube or swearing seems to get them to move. I understand people may have used Loctite in the past. These bolts are now very rounded (thanks to external EZ Outs). Anything welded on comes of before much torque is reached.

If anyone has any ideas about where I go next, I'd be really grateful. Most of my diagnosis is speculation, I was hoping to confirm my burnt-out starter theory once I got to it. I know there are a million threads about this sort of thing, but I was hoping someone may have come across something I have not thus far.

Cheers for your time, and please excuse my naivety!

Andrew.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
what voltage is your battery,

have you tried jumping from car battery, the starter motors are pretty reliable, if the contacts had welded together and come apart may not pass enough amps for starter

the battery needs to be in good condition to start the bike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yeah, I had been jumping off of a car. I tried starting off the button and jumping onto the starter, but with the same outcome... starter sounded very lazy, not like something trying to fire a bike into life. Does anyone have any further tests I can do on the starter, obviously in place, as I am unable to get at it at present.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hi, yeah, I had been jumping off of a car. I tried starting off the button and jumping onto the starter, but with the same outcome... starter sounded very lazy, not like something trying to fire a bike into life. Does anyone have any further tests I can do on the starter, obviously in place, as I am unable to get at it at present.
there bolt holding the starter motor down, it is the ground has been known to come loose - you can get to it from under the seat

do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on

the starter can cause problems but usually with the load relay not grounding properly through it, dirty commutator, do not remember ever hearing of one failing, not able to turn the motor over

people have had problems with the swingarm pivot bolts, been lucky with all three of mine coming apart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah cool, I will check that bolt and earth and make sure it's all clean. The fuel pump does kick in when the bike switches on. How and where would a go about checking the commutator? I tried bridging the relay terminals (not for long) to see of that would bypass a dodgy relay, but still seemed to turn on the same strength.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Dirty commutator is not going to cause slow cranking, it is part of the rotor in the starter which you have to pull the transmission to remove, big job
Is the motor trying to start, if it is not trying to start it may seem like it is cranking slow

If the starter is bad you can push start it, get a couple of friends to get you moving and engage the clutch see if it will start , like you would with any standard transmission - if it will not start I would try to find out why before I started ripping it apart

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,248 Posts
By what ever means get ONE of the pivot bolts out. Then you can remove the swing arm (must remove exhaust and the cross member). It will be easier to get the other one off out of the bike. These are best removed with a very top quality socket, breaker bar and a pipe extension. This advice is , of course, for next time.

What has happened is the starter relay welded itself together and the starter was still running with the engine running. That is why it conked out. Often this also means wires have melted together but it sounds like you did not suffer that. Replace the starter relay or use the existing to drive a Ford starter relay to power the starter(cheaper). There are several threads here that cover that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts