BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a bit of info. How do you remove (and install) the chrome strips on the rear bags of a 2009 K1200LT; and

I have a rattle caused by vibration when i first start my bike it is in the front plastic cover behind the front wheel; as soon as I put my hand on it, it stops. Any ideas on how to stop this annoying noise.

tks for your help.

Alex in Sault Ste Marie Ontario Canada :wave :bmw: :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
The chrome strips on the side cases are held on by double-sided tape. I don't have info for you on how to remove these, but others will chime in soon.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
With all of the tupperware you're going to have some rattles from time to time,
my solution has been to cut a small piece of the soft half of velcro,
loosen a couple of screws and slip it in to the place that's vibrating,
in a way that it can't be seen,

I actually did this once in a turnout on the Blue Ridge parkway,
because I couldn't "deal with" a certain rattle any longer, works good,

I have found that the velcro with the adhesive backing works best

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
The chrome strips are easily removed using a hot air gun ( or hairdryer ) along the inside of the case. You need to soften the double sided tape that holds them in place
and pull them off by hand.
You can remove the reflectors first by using either fishing line or a fine wire and pulling it with a sawing action behind the reflector. I haven't used dental floss but think I read that's OK too. I've only used a heat gun, but only needed a medium heat setting.
The new chrome strip will come with adhesive tape already in place, but 3M makes a good mounting tape. That also works well to pack the fairing and stop it from vibrating.
Just leave the peel off surface still covered and you won't need to replace the packing each time.

+1 as Hans said use adhesive velcro.

HTH

·
Registered
659 Posts
I used a heat gun (from the inside of the bag...be careful not to get it too hot) to warm the chrome piece adhesive from the back side and a length of weed trimmer line worked in a sawing motion as mentioned above. Works great. When you reinstall I'd heat the bag or the adhesive on the new strip before securing it in place or (better) go to the auto store and pick up some Scotch (3M) adhesive made for this kind of mounting. One of mine was taken off by the wind on a ride shortly after I installed it and I replaced the adhesive with the Scotch stuff and had no problem after that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
morinal said:
I have a rattle caused by vibration when i first start my bike it is in the front plastic cover behind the front wheel; as soon as I put my hand on it, it stops. Any ideas on how to stop this annoying noise
I have been on a quest since I got the LT to eliminate rattles, and I have nearly succeeded. I suspect that the rattle you speak of is on the side fairing pieces and at the front next to the radiators. There are a couple potential causes for this specific vibration, and all can be solved with foam weatherstripping.

1. On the inside of the panel there is a black plastic baffle that directs air through the radiators (I think). At the bottom of that piece there should be a pad between it and the inside of the panel. On my bike one side had it and the other it had fallen off / dissolved over the years. You will need a fairly thick piece of sponge foam for that.

2. Same piece, there is a support framework for the fairing running in a groove channeled out inside that panel. I installed a thin piece of weatherstripping along that whole frame member on mine because the plastic was flexing enough to come into contact with that frame member occasionally.

3. more difficult to explain so see picture attached below titled 'rattle hotspots'. The area I circled on the side panel installs over the side panel. You will need a fair amount of thickness here to insulate these two parts from each other. The point where the front spoiler and side engine covers meet at the top also needs to have some weatherstripping stuck in between them.

4. See the picture titled "tipwings" for another hard to describe potential problem. This would be a problem if your bike has ever been over on its side. You really don't need weatherstripping for this one, just make sure that the tabs that part 3 mounts on are properly positioned, bend them as needed to fix it. The red circle near 12 might be contacting the fairing which will cause a rattle, also the tabs (one is circled near #5) will contact and rattle if the attachments are tweaked a little.

Those are the biggies that I can think of. I have taken the additional measure of adding some very thin weatherstripping along the bottom of the upper fairing where the side fairing panel covers it and virtually every other point where two plastic panels come together. Just make sure at these points you use the thinnest weatherstripping you can find. I found a roll of 1/8 thick in black at ACE that worked nicely.

Sorry for the lengthy post but this has been an obsession for me. I have removed the tupperware from my bike about 10 times in the last year working on this. If anyone in the Phoenix area wants to do their own maintenance but is afraid of the tupperware drop me a PM, I'm a freakin' pro at getting that plastic on and off with all this practice :)

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
I forgot the one I just fixed on Saturday, the right (from riding position) radiator, the lower hose connector was coming into contact with the engine spoiler, so again with the handy-dandy weatherstripping.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to thank everyone who responded to my questions about the plastic rattle and chrome strips - can't wait to try them out.
take care and ride safe :wave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts