BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 k1200lt. Over the last few months the front speakers have worked when the bike is first started, but then fade and are silent. The rear speakers continue to work.
Has anyone else suffered this problem.
Some feedback would be useful before dismantling the front of the bike to gain access to the speakers/amplifier.
Many thanks

Alan W (UK)
k1200lt
BSA Gold Star
Velocette Valiant

·
Registered
656 Posts
This is one of those good news bad news sort of things, the good news your front speakers are likely just fine speakers either they work or they don't they don't just fade out. The bad news is that most likely the front amp possibly a bad cap on your radio is toast and sad to say its not a modular system you may be lucky and be able to dry the radio out and clean any contamination off of the circuit board or perhaps the connection to the front speakers may be corroded.

Also the radio is accessed under the top Tupperware on your tank there is no amp under the fairing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a similar problem last year on my '05. First I disconnected the battery for one hour then reconnect and no change, then checked fuses and connections all were good. Took radio apart and checked for corrosion on printed circuit boards for stingray control and radio, no corrosion. Sent radio printed circuit board off for a quad amp replacement. $400.00 later all is well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Kra961 said:
This is one of those good news bad news sort of things, the good news your front speakers are likely just fine speakers either they work or they don't they don't just fade out. The bad news is that most likely the front amp possibly a bad cap on your radio is toast and sad to say its not a modular system you may be lucky and be able to dry the radio out and clean any contamination off of the circuit board or perhaps the connection to the front speakers may be corroded.

Also the radio is accessed under the top Tupperware on your tank there is no amp under the fairing.
How or where do I find out how to rmove the top Tupperware to my 05 KLT

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Bajasteve said:
How or where do I find out how to rmove the top Tupperware to my 05 KLT
Follow the suggestions here and you'll also get some btdt help from some of the folks on the forum. Just be patient. And have fun.

BTW - Neosho Sale Memorial hospital wuz my first visit to this planet!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dick said:
Follow the suggestions here and you'll also get some btdt help from some of the folks on the forum. Just be patient. And have fun.

BTW - Neosho Sale Memorial hospital wuz my first visit to this planet!!
I can't thank you enough, that forum you gave me is perfect to get me on the job. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is with my front speakers going off afrer 30 seconds or so after I turn the key on but my thinkings is, if I can get the radio I'm half way home so to speak. If you know any more about the problem let me know. Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
chestere said:
I had a similar problem last year on my '05. First I disconnected the battery for one hour then reconnect and no change, then checked fuses and connections all were good. Took radio apart and checked for corrosion on printed circuit boards for stingray control and radio, no corrosion. Sent radio printed circuit board off for a quad amp replacement. $400.00 later all is well.
I may have to send my circuit board off as well on my '05 gold klt. Where did you send your circuit board and by doing this already can you give me any futher help on this issue. Like after you took your tupperware off was it difficult to put back on,etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with the radio on my 06 K1200LT. I contacted Becker Autosound in NJ, who is the maker of the radio. They said the problem is the circuit board went bad. I can send the radio in for repair/replacement of circuit board....but the cost is $400. They said they order the circuit boards from Germany....anybody know from where exactly? If I can buy one from somewhere I can do the work myself. Even a used one in good condition would probably work. Any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts