BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K1200LT silicone hose replacement

Just finished installing my Silicone hose set so I thought I would post the procedure for those that might follow.

First undress her top and bottom front tupperware.

Next, drain the fluid per Kirks flush video.

Remove the left side radiator and don't forget to drain the bottom hose before you disconnect it.

Now, you need to remove the inside radiator mount and the left motor mount. I used a small jack to support the motor just in case.

Once those pieces are removed, you can see the small hose and clamp you need to get to for the hose that runs from the top of the motor up to the left radiator. Already replaced in the picture.

You can now remove the bottom hose from the right radiator and prepare to install the molded 3 way hose in the kit. Attach the center engine and right bottom radiator connection. Didn't get a picture of that.

Next, move to the right side and remove the breather lines to expose the right top of the radiator and remove the old top hose. Install the curved hose on the right top radiator outlet and make sure it is clear of the frame in the center. Adjust by twisting the hose to find the best clearance in the center and tighten. It may help to pop the top of the radiator out but make shre you still have clearance when it is back clipped in place. You can see from below where the curve goes around the frame. Reinstall the breather pipes and don't forget to clip the top of the radiator back in.

Now move to the bottom right hose. Simple and open.

Move back to the left and reinstall the motor mount and inside radiator mount but make sure the hose clamps are tight before you bury them.

Reinstall the left radiator connecting the bottom and top hoses as you go

Refill according to Kirks video burping the top hose.

Redress her and ride on.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Attachments

Reactions: kbob12 and sailor

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
A couple more pictures that wouldn't fit on the initial post of the finished job.

Hose set that was installed was this only in black.
Wow, never imagined need to remove engine mount to change coolant hoses. What did this take you time wise? 4 hours?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, never imagined need to remove engine mount to change coolant hoses. What did this take you time wise? 4 hours?
Well, I already had her undressed to do other work so it probably took me 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I think 4 would be a good estimate with removal and replacement of Tupperware if you kept at it.

I am not sure you could get that tiny silicone hose over the nipple if you didn't remove the engine mount. It was very tight going on. It really wasn't all that difficult over all. I did end up trimming a little off the top of that small hose where it attaches to the top of the left radiator.

I was happy to see the inside of my radiators looked like new though. No corrosion or scale build up.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Gordon,

Great install report! The photos really helped to visualize the process. Did you install a new radiator cap as well? I'll get started on mine later this month after spring weather shows up to stay...

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gordon,

Great install report! The photos really helped to visualize the process. Did you install a new radiator cap as well? I'll get started on mine later this month after spring weather shows up to stay...

Thanks, Bob
Bob, I did not install a new cap. I probably should but it is $40 plus shipping from MAX. Haven't looked at EME yet or anywhere else to see if I can get it for less. Any suggestions.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Bob, I did not install a new cap. I probably should but it is $40 plus shipping from MAX. Haven't looked at EME yet or anywhere else to see if I can get it for less. Any suggestions.
Some have mentioned finding the right size at local auto parts stores. Not sure about pressure ratings though.

So, how is the silicone enhanced LT doing? :grin:

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some have mentioned finding the right size at local auto parts stores. Not sure about pressure ratings though.

So, how is the silicone enhanced LT doing? :grin:
The hoses are beautiful and I got my replacement replacement relays in today WITH resistors and not Diodes. Still waiting on my replacement right cluster switch and Innovv K1 camera to start reassembly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I replaced mine last year. I was visiting Bob's BMW one weekend and made the $40.00 donation for the OEM cap. I didn't want to have an issue while I was 2k miles away on a trip :crying:

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
A couple more pictures that wouldn't fit on the initial post of the finished job.

Hose set that was installed was this only in black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K-1200-...ash=item2105a0de96:g:2EsAAOSwvt1WR1Li&vxp=mtr
I started looking at my hoses while it is stripped down and while they don't look ancient or cracked I don't know how long they have been on there. I haven't ridden much but there was no obvious symptoms of cooling problems when I did.

I see there is a new offering for this ebay link and it is overseas. I also looked at some prices for bmw-sourced hoses, holy moly, lol. Is this ebay link our only source of hoses these days? I was hoping to get it all back together during the first part of December but the shipping says up to Christmas Eve, what the :)

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
Buehler? :)

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the delay. The Ebay links are the only ones I know of for the radiator hoses but they arrived pretty quickly. They hoses on your bike are likely original as far as age as I don't hear of them bursting or leaking but I did mine anyways being 15+ years old. I am perfectly happy with them abd the quality.

Reactions: Ricky Chuck

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
Sorry for the delay. The Ebay links are the only ones I know of for the radiator hoses but they arrived pretty quickly. They hoses on your bike are likely original as far as age as I don't hear of them bursting or leaking but I did mine anyways being 15+ years old. I am perfectly happy with them abd the quality.
Thanks, no worries on the delay :). I wonder what color goes with black, lol

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, no worries on the delay :). I wonder what color goes with black, lol
If you are referring to the color of your bike, i have seen the hoses advertised in black, grey and blue so far. Blue if you want to make a statement. :grin:

Reactions: Ricky Chuck

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
If you are referring to the color of your bike, i have seen the hoses advertised in black, grey and blue so far. Blue if you want to make a statement. :grin:
Black and blue after all this maintenance, lol, I like it!

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
THANKS!!! Pix better than words. Lots to see in the pix other than project at hand. Thank you for that, too.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
Ordered, I guess I can make motorbike noises while I am goofing around on the bike in the garage until they get here, lol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did mine in 2017. Hose set on eBay from as3performance. Arrived quickly, great fit, and i did not touch the motor mounts. Small tube was tough but I managed.

·
Registered
577 Posts
This is such a timely thread for me. Took the bike apart (second time since Sept) to find the small coolant leak. Finally found it in the radiator from Beemerboneyard at the top near the seam. They were GREAT and refunded the $ and I held my breath and ordered a left radiator from BMW. While everything is open, I'm replacing hoses to be sure, since 19 year old hoses and 200K miles don't give me much confidence to start the next season.

I have changed every fluid, filter, bled the lines in brakes, clutch, shifter linkage, etc etc. Now, if it wasn't 18 degrees and bunch of salt on the ground, I'd be looking for a ride when the radiator is back on.

Thanks for this forum again-John Z., took me nearly two months to track down the small coolant leak, and looks like while I fixed one, the replacement radiator had another leak! The new cap is a huge help also. Thanks for your trouble-shooting with me.

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
After I ordered it I was watching a game and suddenly I thought "I don't remember choosing a color..." and then some dogs piled onto my couch and it fled my head.

This afternoon I got a shipping text from them...GUESS WHICH COLOR IS COMING???

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts