BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a shorter antenna for the K1200LT? Or a way to make one shorter? if so. i'd be interested. :bmw:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hacksaw

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
check the threads for "invisible" or "hidden" antenna or such... there's options out there guys have posted about

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
james216 said:
Is there a shorter antenna for the K1200LT? Or a way to make one shorter? if so. i'd be interested. :bmw:

I tried a tune trapper after purchasing my last LT the Original owner had removed the factory antenna and replaced it with a powered antenna that was horrible.

The Tune trapper did not make for much improvement so I just got in an OEM antenna off ebay that looks brand new.

I plan on replacing the tune trapper with the OEM antenna.

I will report if there is an improvement OR if there is a problem with the wiring or the factory radio later today.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
pauleknight said:
I tried a tune trapper after purchasing my last LT the Original owner had removed the factory antenna and replaced it with a powered antenna that was horrible.

The Tune trapper did not make for much improvement so I just got in an OEM antenna off ebay that looks brand new.

I plan on replacing the tune trapper with the OEM antenna.

I will report if there is an improvement OR if there is a problem with the wiring or the factory radio later today.
So I got an antenna from eBay in perfect condition. The eBay antenna looks like it came off a bike from the showroom floor.

I pulled the plastic and removed the tune trapper and put the new antenna on and what a difference it makes. I now get three of the stations on my preset that I could get in my cage and not on the LT. Also when I scan for stations I get many more than I had yesterday.

So off with the tune trapper, remove the trunk, install the new eBay antenna and I am happy again.

Just my .02 Cents...

·
Registered
795 Posts
pauleknight said:
So I got an antenna from eBay in perfect condition. The eBay antenna looks like it came off a bike from the showroom floor.

I pulled the plastic and removed the tune trapper and put the new antenna on and what a difference it makes. I now get three of the stations on my preset that I could get in my cage and not on the LT. Also when I scan for stations I get many more than I had yesterday.

So off with the tune trapper, remove the trunk, install the new eBay antenna and I am happy again.

Just my .02 Cents...
I was going to do a tune trapper this year to get rid of the antenna but I think I'll save my $$ now - thanks for the tip! I just wish I could receive AM stations on my LT, I get any FM I want but even within a mile of the transmitter I cannot pick up an AM station.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I took the LT for a ride on Sunday and 60 miles from the house I was still getting GREAT radio reception.

I am NOT knocking Tune Trapper, it was better than the powered piece of stuff the original owner had put on, but my LT with a stock antenna rocks.

I just went out and checked the AM which I never listen to and only got a few stations. I believe there are more AM stations around, but only a few that I could pick up..

anyone else get good AM reception?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you have a link to the guy that you bought the stock antenna from? My bike has a no-name antenna on it, and I can get more stations on my dental fillings than I can on the radio. Anyone got a part number?? I'd like to go back to the stock factory antenna.

99' LT.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
pauleknight said:
...Just my .02 Cents...
Wow, I didn't know pennies came in fractional denominations. :p
I guess inflation is worse than I thought. :D

Reactions: JaL3_SD

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
WildernessJeep said:
Do you have a link to the guy that you bought the stock antenna from? My bike has a no-name antenna on it, and I can get more stations on my dental fillings than I can on the radio. Anyone got a part number?? I'd like to go back to the stock factory antenna.

99' LT.
ebay is your friend..

This was the one I got from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K1200LT...ccessories&hash=item589ab33147&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Here is a the new details:
http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated...ame=Components,_radio_antenna&bindCat=65_1462

If you need the whole assemble you will spend over $500 new
Description Part Number Price
Antenna support 65217686572 $329.45
Antenna RADIO 65217686568 $187.81

Just check ebay and you will eventually get one for $150 ish..

Good luck

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
bikerj said:
Wow, I didn't know pennies came in fractional denominations. :p
I guess inflation is worse than I thought. :D

Don't make me come over there.. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if I were to do a complete sound system makeover - new marine quality stereo, set of four marine quality dual speakers and then change the antenna to a shorter one that matches the stereo?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wonder if I were to do a complete sound system makeover - new marine quality stereo, set of four marine quality dual speakers and then change the antenna to a shorter one that matches the stereo?
Keep an eye on post dates, this thread is over 4 years old. Many have changed out their antenna with some modifications or used a hidden amplified antenna. There are plenty of threads on stereo changes and modifications to retain the handlebar controls.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts