BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a complete failure of the lower rear shock mounting bolt and had I not removed the rear wheel for a tyre replacement I would no doubt have crashed on the mountain ride I was going on.
The bolt had broken in half and the main part of the bolt had fallen out with about 25mm of the bolt remaing with the nut. I strongly suspect that the flanged nut came loose allowing the bolt to move and suffer cyclic fatigue to the point that it broke in half.
BMW Australia have responded by saying that the bolt has a self locking nut from the factory but that was not the case with my bike.
Can anyone else tell me if their K1200 has a self locking nut or just a flanged nut and the year model in either instance?
I feel strongly about this as the bike has not done a big mileage and if the last piece of the bolt had dropped out I may not have been writing this thread.
I replaced my bolt with a grade 12.9 cap screw with self locking nut.
I am particularly interested in any instances of this bolt being found loose or other failures.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Newport said:
I recently had a complete failure of the lower rear shock mounting bolt and had I not removed the rear wheel for a tyre replacement I would no doubt have crashed on the mountain ride I was going on.
The bolt had broken in half and the main part of the bolt had fallen out with about 25mm of the bolt remaing with the nut. I strongly suspect that the flanged nut came loose allowing the bolt to move and suffer cyclic fatigue to the point that it broke in half.
BMW Australia have responded by saying that the bolt has a self locking nut from the factory but that was not the case with my bike.
Can anyone else tell me if their K1200 has a self locking nut or just a flanged nut and the year model in either instance?
I feel strongly about this as the bike has not done a big mileage and if the last piece of the bolt had dropped out I may not have been writing this thread.
I replaced my bolt with a grade 12.9 cap screw with self locking nut.
I am particularly interested in any instances of this bolt being found loose or other failures.
Hi, I have an '03 LT and the lower bolt had not been removed since new, but I did remove the rear shock to install a hyperpro spring. The Clymer shows a bolt with nut and says to torque it to 37 foot lbs on reassembly.
Makes me think yours was not torqued properly for that bolt shouldn't move at all so once torqued it would stay. Since it was broken, could have been a poorly made bolt or you or someone riding the bike hit one heck of a big hole to cause it to fail. I wonder!

Maybe the guru's here will come up with a better reply for you. :bmw:
Vern

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,907 Posts
Yes it is supposed to be a self locking nut.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,052 Posts
IIRC it's 50 Nm bottom, 43 Nm on the top. Maybe a case of severe over torque which weakened the bolt. Good thing you caught it before more damage was done. Interesting fail mode, just thinking about what may have happened with no bolt !! It's a PITA but the bolt enters from the out-board side, the nut is in-board.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I recently replaced the rear shock on my 00--flanged nut.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
vernvernvern said:
Hi, I have an '03 LT and the lower bolt had not been removed since new, but I did remove the rear shock to install a hyperpro spring.
Vern
Please report on your hyperpro springs. Thinking about doing this to mine.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Razmataz said:
Please report on your hyperpro springs. Thinking about doing this to mine.

My HyperPros are great, but then I only have OEM to compare against.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts