BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought 1999 K1200 LT with rear drive from latest model installed. There is no speedo sensor housing on it.
Does any body know the way to make a speedometer alive?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Unfortunately, yes: Put the correct series Rear Drive unit on the Bike. The newer ones did not use the same type of pick-up as the older ones did.

Unless someone else knows how to do some sort of mod, I'm afraid you need to replace the unit. Maybe someone here is in need of a spare drive?

John

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Since the speedos are, by design, inaccurate, they read about 10% high, a few people bought Garmin GPS, and used the speedo built into them. (Good excuse to buy a FUN toy)

That year came with a defective starter relay; if your battery goes dead, or almost dead, when you try the starter the relay fuses closed.

Bob, 00LT

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
You could try one of the K1200lt trike builders. They may swap you a '99 drive for your newer drive. They are a good source of rear drives if you want to buy 2nd hand

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What bob said:

for what it would cost you (to do it yourself) and replace the final drive, even used.
you could get a nice GPS.
I never look at my speedometer, GPS is more accurate.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
could try www.cyclesrecycled.com for a correct year drive for your bike, might be able to work out some kind of a swap, who knows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts