BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
Over the years, l've learned/gained a bit of knowledge from a guy named Chris Harris and l assume you all have seen this on you tube??

I only saw this after buying my LT but think it's quite funny - he's a made a dollar or 2 servicing BMW's over the years. He seems to prefer the older pre-2004 models and has a unique way of saying it....:histerica

I assume this has been seen by many of you already.

I'm selling mine but only as l can't justify keeping such a bike as this but won't be too worried if it doesn't sell as it 's such a unique ride.

Just a note: not having a go at him, l find him quite refreshing as he says it as he sees it - not PC, not to everybody's taste, just his opinion.

Ta, Nick

·
Registered
196 Posts
I saw his video prior to purchasing my LT, I still purchased because we all have opinions some do not match others.
This guy likes R-RT's as I think he's tired of pulling bodywork, who know's, or a pint or two too many?
But he is good at making a rant...

Hi all
Over the years, l've learned/gained a bit of knowledge from a guy named Chris Harris and l assume you all have seen this on you tube??

I only saw this after buying my LT but think it's quite funny - he's a made a dollar or 2 servicing BMW's over the years. He seems to prefer the older pre-2004 models and has a unique way of saying it....:histerica

I assume this has been seen by many of you already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxbO7QV067s

I'm selling mine but only as l can't justify keeping such a bike as this but won't be too worried if it doesn't sell as it 's such a unique ride.

Just a note: not having a go at him, l find him quite refreshing as he says it as he sees it - not PC, not to everybody's taste, just his opinion.

Ta, Nick

·
Registered
500 Posts
Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
866 Posts
I needed a good laugh today.... I wish he would tell us really how he feels about BMW corporate.. :^)

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I needed a good laugh today.... I wish he would tell us really how he feels about BMW corporate.. :^)
I am still wondering about his recent life transformation. He used to be slightly on the heavy side and foul-mouthed from sun rise to sun set ... at a minimum. He goes off-line for several months and comes back much lighter and looking like death warmed over. And his recent videos are much shorter and his language and demeanor greatly subdued.

A few folks inquired in comments to his videos, but I don't think he ever responded. I am guessing serious illness or personal crises such as divorce, but he sure looks and acts a lot different than before whatever the cause.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am still wondering about his recent life transformation. He used to be slightly on the heavy side and foul-mouthed from sun rise to sun set ... at a minimum. He goes off-line for several months and comes back much lighter and looking like death warmed over. And his recent videos are much shorter and his language and demeanor greatly subdued.

A few folks inquired in comments to his videos, but I don't think he ever responded. I am guessing serious illness or personal crises such as divorce, but he sure looks and acts a lot different than before whatever the cause.
I'm reviving this thread because I have been interested in what has happened to Chris. I too saw this rant about our favorite BMW and wrote him off as what we refer to in Australia as a bit of a wanker. He had a very arrogant swagger about him, the kind of swagger that comes from believing in yourself and in the process deciding to not suffer fools gladly.
The other day I came across a very different looking Chris. He had ditched the facial hair. Ditched the neat hair cut in favor of, well what I would call neglected bed head. He also seemed to be drinking quite a lot of cheap red wine straight out of the bottle. It seems that some time in 2013 he had a bit of bad health, not sure what. He also talks about a good friend of his that used to be one of the best at rebuilding final drives. He lived in Canada and developed cancer. At around the same time it seems that Chris decided that his life at the time wasn't working. Didn't like where he was living any more and decided to sell up everything and begin a search for a new life for his family in a quieter location. He decided to take his family to Canada to support his good friend in his fight with cancer. Canada for one reason or another turned him away at the boarder and started a period in limbo where he didn't know what to do. He eventually made it to Canada but cancer was taking it's toll on his friend. He ahs had friends along the way who have supported him and his family. They have found a place to rent and Chris has now started to set up and re establish his BMW business. I have watched some of his videos where he thanks his friends with a tear in his eye and my heart breaks for him. I have seen his wife in some of the videos and my heart breaks for her. I see the love in her eyes that she has for him and she seems like a lovely lady but I also see the sadness and stress in her eyes.
I now see Chris as a quieter, humbler, and gentle man who is fighting the good fight. His videos where he talks about his journey to this point I find riveting and even in the silent parts I see the story.
I wish him all the best and I hope he finds happiness again. He has had years in the wilderness and I know how that feels. I too have had a very rough few years handling the estate of my Uncle and then my Mother. It's not easy looking after other peoples interests before your own. I see that Chris has been doing this and I find his selflessness with his friend to be very endearing.
I know this post has bugger all to do with the KLT but Chris is a brother because of his love of the brand.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I'm reviving this thread because I have been interested in what has happened to Chris. I too saw this rant about our favorite BMW and wrote him off as what we refer to in Australia as a bit of a wanker. He had a very arrogant swagger about him, the kind of swagger that comes from believing in yourself and in the process deciding to not suffer fools gladly.
The other day I came across a very different looking Chris. He had ditched the facial hair. Ditched the neat hair cut in favor of, well what I would call neglected bed head. He also seemed to be drinking quite a lot of cheap red wine straight out of the bottle. It seems that some time in 2013 he had a bit of bad health, not sure what. He also talks about a good friend of his that used to be one of the best at rebuilding final drives. He lived in Canada and developed cancer. At around the same time it seems that Chris decided that his life at the time wasn't working. Didn't like where he was living any more and decided to sell up everything and begin a search for a new life for his family in a quieter location. He decided to take his family to Canada to support his good friend in his fight with cancer. Canada for one reason or another turned him away at the boarder and started a period in limbo where he didn't know what to do. He eventually made it to Canada but cancer was taking it's toll on his friend. He ahs had friends along the way who have supported him and his family. They have found a place to rent and Chris has now started to set up and re establish his BMW business. I have watched some of his videos where he thanks his friends with a tear in his eye and my heart breaks for him. I have seen his wife in some of the videos and my heart breaks for her. I see the love in her eyes that she has for him and she seems like a lovely lady but I also see the sadness and stress in her eyes.
I now see Chris as a quieter, humbler, and gentle man who is fighting the good fight. His videos where he talks about his journey to this point I find riveting and even in the silent parts I see the story.
I wish him all the best and I hope he finds happiness again. He has had years in the wilderness and I know how that feels. I too have had a very rough few years handling the estate of my Uncle and then my Mother. It's not easy looking after other peoples interests before your own. I see that Chris has been doing this and I find his selflessness with his friend to be very endearing.
I know this post has bugger all to do with the KLT but Chris is a brother because of his love of the brand.
I have kept watching his videos and it has been painful at times. I think he certainly has been through a very rough patch personally and with his friend Bruno. I forget the name of Bruno’s business, but he used to advertise in the ON magazine for his shop near, if memory serves, Iron Bridge, Canada. I rode through there a few years ago and wish now I had stopped to meet him.

My only fear now is that Chris is slipped into a downward spiral and isn’t coming back out. He has talked now for months about getting back into the repair business, or more directly, into making videos to transfer his knowledge to others as his mortality is clearly top of mind. However, he has talked incessantly about getting started and getting ready, but he never seems ready enough to get started. I think he is afraid to really get back into it. Time will tell, but I am going to unsubscribe from his channel at the end of the summer if things keep on as they are. It seems he got stuck in limbo and now is unable to find his way out. It is a sad situation, I agree, as I always thought his videos were pretty good if you could ignore the trash talking and hubris. Much of the hubris is gone and much less of the trash talking remains, unfortunately, the last 6 months of videos have been nearly content-free and I can only spend so much time commiserating.

Reactions: Gdrdocbmw

·
Registered
598 Posts
I hear what you are saying. There is only so much you can watch until it starts to drag you down as well. I hope he can pick himself up but he just seems so fundamentally changed.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I hear what you are saying. There is only so much you can watch until it starts to drag you down as well. I hope he can pick himself up but he just seems so fundamentally changed.
Yep. He certainly has fundamentally changed and I think mostly for the good, but I fear the one change that isn’t so positive is his desire to get things done. He seems to have fallen off the rails in that regard. Hopefully, he well get back on track.

Reactions: Wazza

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
He does bring up legitimate gripes. The LT is a PITA in some ways. And in others not so much. His tirade about the LT being a thirsty pig on fuel is a head scratcher. WHAT?? For it's size and weight It's better on fuel than anything else like it. She's 870 lbs. or so?? Then add luggage /Packed 2 up. To get 200- 250 MPG is amazing.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Reactions: Scimitar

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
He does bring up legitimate gripes. The LT is a PITA in some ways. And in others not so much. His tirade about the LT being a thirsty pig on fuel is a head scratcher. WHAT?? For it's size and weight It's better on fuel than anything else like it. She's 870 lbs. or so?? Then add luggage /Packed 2 up. To get 200- 250 MPG is amazing.
I agree, but I have never gotten close to 200 MPG! You must have a really special LT. :grin:

I often get 50+ MPG though and I know few other touring bikes, the RT an obvious exception, that can do that loaded and riding two-up.

Reactions: mondrage

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I agree, but I have never gotten close to 200 MPG! You must have a really special LT. :grin:

I often get 50+ MPG though and I know few other touring bikes, the RT an obvious exception, that can do that loaded and riding two-up.
I usually get about 35 - 45 MPG a gallon depending on conditions. Your right about the 250. Best I got is 220ish, I usually get 185- 195miles to a tank,But still better than a Wing.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I usually get about 35 - 45 MPG a gallon depending on conditions. Your right about the 250. Best I got is 220ish, I usually get 185- 195miles to a tank,But still better than a Wing.
It was just a funny typo.

I vary from 32 to 55 depending on conditions. I think my average since new is 47 MPG. As to range,I have gotten as little as 180 and as much as 320. It depends greatly on wind speed, cruise speed, and temperature.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It was just a funny typo.

I vary from 32 to 55 depending on conditions. I think my average since new is 47 MPG. As to range,I have gotten as little as 180 and as much as 320. It depends greatly on wind speed, cruise speed, and temperature.
I don't think it's thirsty though. Not for it's size,weight.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
The K12R is thirsty. I get 28mpg.
The LT depending on City (yes, I use it often as my daily commuter) makes 30-35mpg. But on the open road makes about 50mpg.
Outstanding for that big thing. It’s like moving a planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bruincounselor

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
If I had listened to everyone and ever video and every forum rant against the K1200 LT I would have missed out on about 8 years and 50,000 miles of, at the time, the best bike I have ever owned. Absolute pleasure and the people I have met and known through her too, were some of the best....

The same too with my GTL and now it's time again to go for a ride..... Just wish I was back in WV like last weekend.... What fun...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts