BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 K1200 to western C0 lt with 18000k on the clock, bike always runs 3/4 on heat gauge ,took trip too western CO. heat gauge pegged on 9-10000 ft passes has water in recovery tank. Any ideas before I have to pull plastic??

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
test the radiator cap, better still, replace it at that age it has done its job. The recovery tank is meant to have coolant in it up to the Max line, you don't need to remove any plastic for this.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have a 2002 K1200 to western C0 lt with 18000k on the clock, bike always runs 3/4 on heat gauge ,took trip too western CO. heat gauge pegged on 9-10000 ft passes has water in recovery tank. Any ideas before I have to pull plastic??
I had the same issue while towing a trailer past Breckenridge. Did your red warning light come on? When you say pegged do you really mean pegged or is the needle just in the red. Are your cooling fans working? Altitude has a lot to do with it.

Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for cap info, with gauge reading at 3/4 most of time does this reading seem normal? fan seem to run a lot during summer months

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
Not uncommon in the mountains thinner air less cooling. The early bikes gauge is a bit misleading as it will almost get to the red before the fans come on and you still have a ways to go before you actually overheat (red light on). See the chart.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I would check to make sure the overflow hose isn't leaky. (Check the fluid level in the radiators) If it's cracked or pinched your reservoir can be full and your radiators low. Other than that, sounds like a bad thermostat and/or cap, maybe real dirty radiator fins.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
3/4 on a hot day does seem normal to me, but not in the red unless you are in stop go traffic, it should be sitting about 1/2 way a bit higher under normal operating conditions. The fans should cut in when the needle hits red, pulling over and letting the fans cool the radiators I don't recommend, the water needs to be circulating as well, so bring your speed back down and keep riding, really think you should replace that cap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help will check all things mentioned in reply's,let you know what I find, Thanks again

Paul,

·
Registered
343 Posts
Could the radiator faces be full of bugs or dirt which are impacting the cooling effect and causing the high temperature gauge indication?

While on the topic, is there an automotive solution that assists in cleaning the exposed radiator grills or will a garden hose and water be good enough to clean them?

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Other things that contribute to excessive heat on this model is going slower than 55 mph or a tail wind. The radiator capacity is marginal for the bike and not perfect conditions. Keep it clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts