BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 LT is starting to leak some oil. I have placed paper towels under the engine, and find that the leak seems to drip from near to the drain plug and/or near to the filter housing. All is torqued sufficiently Also, it seems to drip from aft of the engine/transmission junction. I belived this is oil blowing back from the supposed leak at the engine. The fluid is most like engine oil. The leaking only occurs after running a bunch of miles, as if it is blowing out. Once I wipe the bottom of the engine/transimission, no drips occur. Example; I ride to a friends house, 20 miles, mostly @ 65 mph, park in his driveway, leave my calling card. Example; I drive to the store, 4 miles, 45 mph, return home, no drips. Seems like maybe a front seal??

73,000 on the engine. Not abused. Use synthetic oil.

Problem is this is on a trike, and the local BMW dealer/service does not want to work on a trike. Like, I might need to do this myself!!! :confused:

Any ideas?

All help welcome!

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Sounds like the rear main seal, which means everything has to come apart. Mine went out at 64k. I was told that it was the "German" rubber used for the seal.
You may want to try regular oil and hopefully it will swell the seal enough to make it stop leaking. There are a few rumors that the synthetic oil contributes to this. It would be worth a try to me!

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
If it is leaking around the drain plug or filter cover cover it should not be the rear main. When was your last oil change? Is it possible a piece of dirt got wedged between the crush washer on the drain plug or the filter cover preventing a proper seal. I would check both of these before tearing anything major apart.

Other possibilities from the front is timing chain cover or oil/water pump shaft seal.

Timing cover usually leaks at the joint between the head and the block so this would be on the left side of the bike as you are sitting on it.

Oil/Water pump. This has a drain hole that looks like a dowel pin hole. It is located directly below the oil/water pump assembly of the front of the engine. If memory serves me correctly it is in front of the drian plug.

good luck

Roy

·
Registered
989 Posts
scubajgp said:
...Problem is this is on a trike, and the local BMW dealer/service does not want to work on a trike...
You'd think that they'd be hungry for business. :confused:

I hope that bigbear's prediction works out for you - certainly less work.

Back to the discussion on one of the threads here about dealer mechanics not being "wrenches" anymore, but rather: "hook up to computer - replace part(s)". Sign of the times?

·
Registered
475 Posts
When you change your oil, you change the gasket on the drain plug and oil filter cap? The LT's are not known to leak oil.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Two admittedly dumb responses....
Who did the last change? Could the cover mounts be stripped/cross threaded? Possibility that the rubber inside the filter door is missing? Last, is your clutch housing drilled with weep holes?

After having a few issues, wouldn't it be nice to have a problem and the fix be simple?? :D

scubajgp said:
My 2000 LT is starting to leak some oil. I have placed paper towels under the engine, and find that the leak seems to drip from near to the drain plug and/or near to the filter housing. All is torqued sufficiently Also, it seems to drip from aft of the engine/transmission junction. I belived this is oil blowing back from the supposed leak at the engine. The fluid is most like engine oil. The leaking only occurs after running a bunch of miles, as if it is blowing out. Once I wipe the bottom of the engine/transimission, no drips occur. Example; I ride to a friends house, 20 miles, mostly @ 65 mph, park in his driveway, leave my calling card. Example; I drive to the store, 4 miles, 45 mph, return home, no drips. Seems like maybe a front seal??

73,000 on the engine. Not abused. Use synthetic oil.

Problem is this is on a trike, and the local BMW dealer/service does not want to work on a trike. Like, I might need to do this myself!!! :confused:

Any ideas?

All help welcome!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,248 Posts
Oil filter access cover seal is more dependant on cleanliness than torque. The bolts only hold it on place the o-ring does the sealing. That would be my first repair check. But a good dousing with de-greaser and then have another look would be my first choice. Better to ID the source.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I hear similar stuff from Harley Trike riders too. I think this is something to do with not able to put the Trikes on motorcycle lifts.

rdwalker said:
You'd think that they'd be hungry for business. :confused:

I hope that bigbear's prediction works out for you - certainly less work.

Back to the discussion on one of the threads here about dealer mechanics not being "wrenches" anymore, but rather: "hook up to computer - replace part(s)". Sign of the times?

·
Registered
314 Posts
There is a weep hole roughly an inch to the front of the filter cover. If the oil comes from there, it'll be the oil/water pump shaft seal. Leak from that shaft seal mostly happens with the engine running so it will be working it's way to the rear.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All answers are cool! I will be pulling into my garage in the next week or so and take the tupperware off for the first time, and will begin to look into all the suggestions. BMW Las Vegas did my first oil change (since getting the trike), leaked a bit then, since I have done 3 oil changes, leaked after every one. I religiously replace o-rings and crush washers each time, clean the surfaces, went back to conventional oil from synthetic.

By the way, the leak is not a huge one, just a couple of drips or so after a long ride, never enough to go below the sight glass, just a pain on a driveway, any driveway.

I will pull the sides off, and look into all the suggestions here. And, I thank you all for them.

Yes, I think the service departments are leaning to service they can perform from the computer analysis, and yes, they don't like me because they don't have a lift for a trike! I guess I don't blame them for that, although with some brain power, they could figure out a way, I have!

I overheard the service manager at BMW Las Vegas recommend to a customer (GS) that he remove the panniers before bringing it in. That makes it cheaper. He said they remove them because the techs bang their heads on them. Go figure. :confused:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
scubajgp said:
I overheard the service manager at BMW Las Vegas recommend to a customer (GS) that he remove the panniers before bringing it in. That makes it cheaper. He said they remove them because the techs bang their heads on them. Go figure. :confused:
It is also a good thing to remove them before you take a bike in for service because if the tech removes them to work on the bike he is going to just set them aside & they could get scratched or even damaged some how.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You probably already know this but just in case.....

Get a good bright light and study the point where it drips. You can usually follow the oil back to the source. Small leaks collect a dust layer and are dull in appearance. Larger ones appear shiny from the oil running on the surface. Usually just a matter of taking the time to look at it closely.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a bit of an update. I learned that Las Vegas BMW shop has a new manager, so went there with the oil leak problem. New manager does not want to deal with it either!

I have learned that when the oil level is at the top of the sight glass (full) the leaks are more pronounced. When the oil level drops below 1/2, the leaks are minimal. So, perhaps the engine is throwing the oil. We shall see.

More to come.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My bet is that the first poster nailed the problem. The rear main seal is leaking.

If it was the drain plug or filter cover o-ring it would have stopped after you changed them. The weep hole would show a leak closer to the front of the engine. You have about the right miles for the seal to start leaking. I have 72k on mine and it leaks a little but not enough for me to repair it yet.

Also the fact that it leaks more when the oil level is high and not so bad when it's down a little is a big clue. I try to run my oil at the middle of the sight glass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts