BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a Wix Oil filter (#57936)? Also Joe Gibbs Driven has a 15W-50 synthetic hot rod oil meant for engines that sit for periods of time. It has a high level of Zinc compared to most oils. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :wave

Perhaps selecting an oil based that is "meant for engines that sit for periods of time", means you got the wrong bike.

Perhaps better suited for a Harley :)

Seriously though, oil, filters, tires are beaten to death. I would use a WIX filter, but, I have used 4 or 5 different brands. No feeling about zinc addition to oil, does it do a better job with moisture or is it to provide sacrificial protection against galvanic corrosion?

Joe

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Go to the Castrol website and check out the formulation for their 20W50 4T motorcycle oil. Zinc was removed from automotive oils in order to meet EPA standards. Castrol left it in their MC oils for additional protection.

BTW this oil meets the standards required by BMW for the LT.

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
sds said:
Has anyone used a Wix Oil filter (#57936)? Also Joe Gibbs Driven has a 15W-50 synthetic hot rod oil meant for engines that sit for periods of time. It has a high level of Zinc compared to most oils. Any thoughts?
I just put a NAPA 7936 ( made by WIX) on my LT. Fits and works with my oil filter wrench. Only thing was it cost me $17 :mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts