BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just got my 2003 K1200LT and so far so good. It has some issues which I will be relying heavily on this forum to help with (thank you all in advance ... :) ), BUT
The bike has some features (buttons) that I don't understand their function and could use a User Manual for. Unfortunately it has NO documentation.

Anyone know where to get a user manual OR possible willing to scan a manual into a PDF and send it my way?

thanks in advance,
-Jay
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Have your dealer order an owners manual for you.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordered the Clymer manual. Thanks for the other reference. Trying to stay away from the dealer as much as possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a 2000 K1200 LT and also doesnt have the literature.

i check the handbooks in maxbmw, however it shows 3 different operation and technical books and i cant tell the difference.

OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, OPERATION - BIS MJ.00, US (to 12/00)
OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, OPERATION - MJ.01/02, US (12/00 to 11/02)
OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, OPERATION - AB MJ.03, US (from 11/02)

OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, TECHNICAL DATA - BIS MJ.00, US (to 12/00)
OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, TECHNICAL DATA - MJ.01/02, US (12/00 to 11/02)
OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, TECHNICAL DATA - AB MJ.03, US (from 11/02)

doeas anyone how to tell the differnece?

thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
i have a 2000 K1200 LT and also doesnt have the literature.

i check the handbooks in maxbmw, however it shows 3 different operation and technical books and i cant tell the difference.

OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, OPERATION - BIS MJ.00, US (to 12/00)
OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, OPERATION - MJ.01/02, US (12/00 to 11/02)
OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, OPERATION - AB MJ.03, US (from 11/02)

OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, TECHNICAL DATA - BIS MJ.00, US (to 12/00)
OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, TECHNICAL DATA - MJ.01/02, US (12/00 to 11/02)
OWNERS HANDBOOK K1200LT, TECHNICAL DATA - AB MJ.03, US (from 11/02)

doeas anyone how to tell the differnece?

thank you very much.
The fact that your bike was sold as 2000 does not mean it was produced in same year - in most case production is 6 months to 1 year earlier. Because BMW made many changes to K1200LTT when they introduced the new Integral-ABS brake system they had to change both of these manuals content. The new brake system was introduced in 2001 (Europe, Canada...) and a bit later in USA. In most cases these early production with new brake system were in fact assembled at factory in December 2000 or later.

METHOD 1:
To check the production MONTH of your bike, enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in the screen of this web site (watch right colum data):
RealOEM.com - Select Your BMW Model

METHOD 2:
Check under your seat - look for several sticker attached to a metal plate welded on rear sub-frame as shown in attached photo.

Once you know Month/Year of your K1200LT, you will know if yours is the 1st case above (all early bikes until 1st DECEMBER 2000)
... OR ...
if your bike is in the 2nd item above (between DECEMBER 2000 and NOVEMBER 2002).

The K1200LT was delivered with 2 owner manuals. One manual is more about instructions, buttons, functions, specs. The other is more about BASIC maintenance and includes a log for dealer to stamp each minor / major inspection.

P.S.:
I have no frigging idea what BMW makes out of the overlap between 1st december and 31 December with the scheme they use in their parts catalog. I have to guess or assume that the 1st case (to 12/00) does in fact end up as last day of November. So much for German precision ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
The fact that your bike was sold as 2000 does not mean it was produced in same year - in most case production is 6 months to 1 year earlier. Because BMW made many changes to K1200LTT when they introduced the new Integral-ABS brake system they had to change both of these manuals content. The new brake system was introduced in 2001 (Europe, Canada...) and a bit later in USA. In most cases these early production with new brake system were in fact assembled at factory in December 2000 or later.

METHOD 1:
To check the production MONTH of your bike, enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in the screen of this web site (watch right colum data):
RealOEM.com - Select Your BMW Model

METHOD 2:
Check under your seat - look for several sticker attached to a metal plate welded on rear sub-frame as shown in attached photo.

Once you know Month/Year of your K1200LT, you will know if yours is the 1st case above (all early bikes until 1st DECEMBER 2000)
... OR ...
if your bike is in the 2nd item above (between DECEMBER 2000 and NOVEMBER 2002).

The K1200LT was delivered with 2 owner manuals. One manual is more about instructions, buttons, functions, specs. The other is more about BASIC maintenance and includes a log for dealer to stamp each minor / major inspection.

P.S.:
I have no frigging idea what BMW makes out of the overlap between 1st december and 31 December with the scheme they use in their parts catalog. I have to guess or assume that the 1st case (to 12/00) does in fact end up as last day of November. So much for German precision ;-)
thank you so much for the answer. i have a feb/2000 bike. this helps to know which handbook i will buy.

i work for a german OEM, iget the idea of the model change dates, twice a year in certain weeks, always the same calendar week.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a 2000 K1200lt BMW CD of the maintenance manual plus I have printed it out and put it in a binder.....I do not need it anymore...It has notes and other information as I used it extensively. I also have 5 or 6 Mahle oil filters, o-rings for the tube oil change, and one reworked steering damper seals for the damper....

If interested let me know ....filters $5 ea, BMW CD and book $25, damper $65 and I will throw in the rest...Buyer pays shipping

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
thank you so much for the answer. i have a feb/2000 bike. this helps to know which handbook i will buy.

i work for a german OEM, iget the idea of the model change dates, twice a year in certain weeks, always the same calendar week.
OK... so you have the 1st generation of K1200LT with ABS2 system (and front calipers marked BREMBO).

I see you are from Mexico - correct?
By the way, I am not sure if still available now from Germany, but these 2 owners manual use to be available in SPANISH:
1) Owners handbook - Operation (SPANISH) as BMW part no: 01 43 0 006 970
2) Owners handbook - technical data (SPANISH) as BMW part no: 01 43 0 006 971

Otherwise in ENGLISH:
1) Owners handbook - Operation (ENGLISH - USA specs) as BMW part no: 01 47 0 006 978
2) Owners handbook - Technical data (ENGLISH - USA specs) as BMW part no: 01 47 0 006 979

·
Registered
74 Posts
JayG,

I feel your pain with no manuals! I had the same thing happen. I found some downloadables for the NAV III (not a very modern GPS unit) and for the electronic locks, not sure if you have them or not.
I just emailed them to you.

I also have a copy of a Maintenance Manual that I downloaded either from here or another of the BMW websites. The manual is 40MGs so can't be emailed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
JayG,

I feel your pain with no manuals! I had the same thing happen. I found some downloadables for the NAV III (not a very modern GPS unit) and for the electronic locks, not sure if you have them or not.
I just emailed them to you.

I also have a copy of a Maintenance Manual that I downloaded either from here or another of the BMW websites. The manual is 40MGs so can't be emailed.
Hi JayG,

its awful to get new toys with no manuals :( haha
i do not have the manuals you mentioned, but i have one for the Comm and the service book from BMW.

can you resend the electronic locks, please. i didnt receive it.
my mails is [email protected]

i really appreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts