BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am, OK, cheap. So I'm looking for a reasonable way to replace a leaking front line (yes I know, Spiegler, but) I'm looking at K1200R and K1200S brake sets on flea bay, they come from the factory with teflon lines but I can't tell if they would be long enough to fit a K1200LT the union is different, sits over the front fender but I could deal with that if the set "fits" would reach to the hard points. would be nice to pick up calipers pads lines etal from a bike that hasn't soaked everything in brake fluid...

Wondering minds....
Let the flaming begin!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I had one made up at a brake shop for a good price, but when I fitted it the extra pressure generated blew out one of the rears, so there is no cheap way it in fact cost a lot more not only the cost of the new hose but a spieglar set as well and job done twice. Bite the bullet and fit the spieglar set

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes but.... These are Jen-You-Wine BMW parts. I have a set coming, will see/show how it goes. grabbed a caliper while I w as at it I'll just shelve the fluid soked one as a spare.

Like these.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,593 Posts
Hope you can make that one work as it is not off an LT, but then that may not matter as long as the up pipe is long enough.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hope you can make that one work as it is not off an LT, but then that may not matter as long as the up pipe is long enough.
And that was the rub, the up pipe is too short and the banjo has the wrong angle. I made it work, but do NOT recommend it. The good news is that normal reservoir down type bleeding (working alone, my arms are long) flushed the whole system with no problems. The bike is on the road with no wigwams and solid, firm brakes. First test was to clamp on the front handle going down my steep wet gravel driveway. It worked fine, you can tell it's an early, a bit crude, ABS but hey stopped and upright is good!
I'm going to have to revisit brake lines but at least I have been able to ride the bike enough to know it is worth some further efforts to run it long distance. A used ebay final drive fixed that issue, next up is a fresh rear tire. Shinko 777 HD most likely.
Put the wife aboard and did an 80 mile run in the rain. Should NOT have done that, she says accommodations in the rear suite are quite comfortable, rain? she didn't feel no rain back there. So; will it be the Connie 14 for me or the K bike to keep her nibs happy?

3 DIFFERENT bleed nut sizes, including the ever popular 7mm on the ABS module nipples??? Are you kidding me?

PPS a front caliper from a K1200GT was plug and play even though it's Brembo not Tokico.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts