BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a frustration post :(

Just tried to put the LT on the lift without any help!

CAN'T do it!! It's to big and heavy for one old "fart" to handle alone!

I can put the others on without any help, NOT this one!!

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!! :(

Hate to say it but it may be time to sell he LT and stay with the lighter machines!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
You need to try a different technique that is about 50% of the effort of the "correct" :rolleyes: technique that 90% of LT riders will now chime in and tell you about... which of course is not only wrong it's a great way to throw your back out.

I'll need to check some archives to find the easy way and will post it in a few minutes.

It also helps to make sure the rear hydraulic reservoir is full - and a tire with adequate tread is a big help as well.

My 130 Pound girlfriend can put it on the center stand with NO problem.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
radar41 said:
This is a frustration post :(

Just tried to put the LT on the lift without any help!

CAN'T do it!! It's to big and heavy for one old "fart" to handle alone!

I can put the others on without any help, NOT this one!!

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!! :(

Hate to say it but it may be time to sell he LT and stay with the lighter machines!
Don't feel too bad, I won't put anything larger than an airhead on a lift by myself. I always have the wife stand by to close the wheel clamp.

Robert

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Are we talking lift or center stand?

Center stand is easy with proper weight transfer. I could do it bare footed.

Problem with my lift (smaller HF) was that she was too big. Never tried it with the power center stand, now that the R65 is off, maybe I'll try it again.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alabrew said:
Are we talking lift or center stand?

Center stand is easy with proper weight transfer. I could do it bare footed.

Problem with my lift (smaller HF) was that she was too big. Never tried it with the power center stand, now that the R65 is off, maybe I'll try it again.

Guys, LIFT, I have NO problem getting it on the center stand, in fact I have taught several people including my 110 lb daughter how to put it on the center stand.

Going to build two "side boards" for the lift, I was just frustrated this a.m. as I wanted to get started on it today:) .

Thanks for the input :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I have the Handy with the "wings" and I just ride it up as that is where I store the LT. I guess since I do it every time I ride the old girl it has become second nature. Kind of like practicing U-truns in the road, the more you do it the easier it gets.

But If you have the HF lift I feel your pain as it took five of us to safely get it up as the under rider kept hitting the ramp up at Iron Horse lodge last weekend..

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Yeah, riding the LT onto a lift table without any place to put your feet is down right scary.
Trying to put the LT on a lift table by standing beside the bike isn't recommended either.

To ride on requires a couple of planks or boxes on either side of the lift table for a place to put my feet. Once on the table, I lower the sidestand, get off the bike and then put it on the center stand.

On the subject of centerstands, for those with a manual centerstand who would like an ride-on centerstand here's a trick. A one inch thick board and a piece of 2x2 (or 2x4). Put the board on the 2x2 in front of the front wheel as pictured. Using first gear, ride up the inclined board. Then switch to reverse.
Using your left foot, push the centerstand down until it touches the ground. While holding the center stand against the ground, engage reverse. The bike will back up onto the center stand. Shut off the bike and put the bike back in 1st gear.
After getting off the bike the 2x2 can be kicked out from under the board, and then the board kicked out from under the front tire. Once the board is out from under the front tire, the rear wheel can be rotated for checking the tire pressure and lubing the drive chain.:histerica
(Putting a hand on the front cowl to steady the bike is a good idea, especially if you have a gravel drive like I do.)

·
Registered
152 Posts
A few suggestions...

One; Change the angle of the ramp, to be lees steep. It can be done with lumber, or as fancy as you choose.

Two; Use the engine CAREFULLY...

Three; Sink the lift into the floor...level. You lose a few inches of lift but?

Four; Attach a light-duty winch to the front of the lift with a cabled remote, attaching it to a soft strap around the forks to pull it up slowly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just picked up a TX1000XLT from Derek Weaver this afternoon.
It's the model with a front extension and 2 side boards.
Got it off the truck and will assemble and put the bike on it tomorrow.
I'll let you know if the side extensions are an aid.
Or I'll post from the ER on my blackberry :)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Hoodcounty said:
Just picked up a TX1000XLT from Derek Weaver this afternoon.
It's the model with a front extension and 2 side boards.
Got it off the truck and will assemble and put the bike on it tomorrow.
I'll let you know if the side extensions are an aid.
Or I'll post from the ER on my blackberry :)
If you know anyone else who wants that exact same lift but for less $$, let me know. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
now you tell me.

Edited to add, just drove the LT up the loading ramp and secured by myself.
No issues, just set the vise to just over rim width and drive the front tire into it. Hold securely enough to dismount the truck and secure with tie downs. Clamp the vise and it's almost rock solid.
Ramp extensions provide great footing and the ramp incline is not so steep as to cause any unease or balance issues.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I ride them on the lifts all the time. I have the side extensions sitting on the floor. I balance the bike while I get off if the side stand hangs to far off the table. While holding the left bar I tighten the clamp.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Concrete blocks... Three on each side I believe gives you the footing you need to get the LT up and on the lift..

I have a wheel chock on mine that captures the wheel and then you can get off the bike and strap it up...

John

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I also have the HF lift but I changed the wheel chock to the HF one that captures the rear of the front wheel as you drive onto it,
that made it a little more difficult to get the bike all the way forward,

so what I do now is I start the motor in first gear,
stand beside the lift (I don't have wings, yet)
and feather the clutch as she rolls into place, then hit the kill switch
its a little scary but pretty easy.

To get the bike of the lift, I start the motor and use reverse all the way off the ramp onto the concrete,
that's real easy.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I have the Handy lift. Being a FRUGAL individual refused to spend the $ for the Handy Wings. Got two 2 X 12's and 2 4' long black iron pieces of pipe. Screwed a piece of 2 X 6 vertical to the underside of the 2 X 12, inserted the pipe through the holes in the front and back of the lift and set the 2X's on the pipes. Drilled holes in the ends of the pipe and put screw eyes in the side of the 2X's aligned with the pipe holes and insert bolts through the screw eyes and pipe to secure the wings. Works great and provides a place to set parts and tools while working on the bike. Made a couple of ramps leading up to the wings which let me keep a firm footing while riding the bike up onto the ramps. Works great.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
deputy5211 said:
If you know anyone else who wants that exact same lift but for less $$, let me know. :D
Tony, are you saying you have a lift for sale? If so, let me know. :wave

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
dfinazzo said:
Lynn - :worthless
Dan, I wouldn't say totally worthless. Perhaps your visualization skills or spacial imaging is a little weak. :p

I actually like Lynn's idea. He sounds like a cheapskate like me. ;) I'm liable to borrow his idea. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I just built a couple of wooden folding ramps that allow me to ride it up. Yes, extend the ramp about a foot and a half. It'll clear the edge then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts