BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checked out threads from the past 2 years or so regarding the immobilizer on the K1200LT, but I'm still confused about how - or if - it can be permanently disabled.

On my '09 LT, I frequently use the key fob to lock/unlock the cases and occasionally to set the alarm. I would like to never be stuck somewhere with an immobilizer that is not able to be disengaged because of a bad key fob battery, or other problem. Is there a way to do that? I mean, from a permanently-cut-a-wire-somewhere perspective.

I understand that programming the alarm system through the key fob is possible, and I understand that one of those settings is to set the immobilizer to "off", but I'd like to avoid misprogramming things during a subsequent battery change, and just permanently disable the immobilizer.

One last question: I don't have to use the key fob to start my K1200LT. I just turn the key, press the starter button and go. I assume that means the original owner programmed the system to turn the immobilizer off?

·
Registered
181 Posts
It sounds like the original owner programed the alarm to not automatically arm. Even with the alarm set and a dead remote it is possible to start the bike using the secret code and turning the key to the on position then off the correct number of times. Complicated but it does work. Hopefully when you bought the bike you got the alarm code. If not it can be found by going through a good dealer.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
You can install a "secret switch" to by-pass the alarm on demand. Just follow the by-pass instructions but use a switch to "jumper" the leads instead of a permanent splice. That way you retain all the benefits of the alarm but are not a slave to it when it fails.

Reactions: Patric

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like the original owner programed the alarm to not automatically arm. ...
I think that is the case, because I don't need to use the fob to disable the alarm before I start the bike. At least, that's how I understand it.

... Even with the alarm set and a dead remote it is possible to start the bike using the secret code and turning the key to the on position then off the correct number of times. Complicated but it does work. Hopefully when you bought the bike you got the alarm code. If not it can be found by going through a good dealer.
Next time I'm home (this weekend) I'll look in the file I got from the dealer to see if the alarm code is there. But still, what I want is to never have the immobilizer be part of the picture -- it shouldn't be something I have to worry about bypassing with secret codes and animal sacrifices...

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can install a "secret switch" to by-pass the alarm on demand. Just follow the by-pass instructions but use a switch to "jumper" the leads instead of a permanent splice. That way you retain all the benefits of the alarm but are not a slave to it when it fails.
Are these instructions in one of the threads I referred to in my original post, or are you referring to BMW-provided instructions on bypassing the alarm?

Any switch, jumper, or other non-standard thing to be done will be done by someone else, not me. :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
Are these instructions in one of the threads I referred to in my original post, or are you referring to BMW-provided instructions on bypassing the alarm?

Any switch, jumper, or other non-standard thing to be done will be done by someone else, not me. :D
Come on down for STC and I'll take care of you. I am not aware of BMW provided bypass instructions. I wrote up the one listed in our tech area. I have also installed the switch unit on a few bikes.

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come on down for STC and I'll take care of you. I am not aware of BMW provided bypass instructions. I wrote up the one listed in our tech area. I have also installed the switch unit on a few bikes.
Generous as always, John. Thank you.

STC was already penciled-in on my calendar :rolleyes: but because of summer vacation plans in the works I may have to use the days set aside for STC. I'll keep it in mind; we'll see how it develops.

What kind of effort (time-wise) is involved in the switch?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
The switch is the easy part. Getting to the alarm takes a little effort as it is under the top case. But less than an hour.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The switch is the easy part. Getting to the alarm takes a little effort as it is under the top case. But less than an hour.
John, I know this is a silly question because your are the most organized guy on this site. Do you have written instructions, type of switch & location and pics somewhere on the immobilizer switch install. I might try this myself. :confused:

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I would say you don't have to worry about the fob battery. I have never replaced either fob battery from my 05 (built in 04). I use both and leave them in the garage all year.

Hope I have not just jinxed myself!

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say you don't have to worry about the fob battery. I have never replaced either fob battery from my 05 (built in 04). I use both and leave them in the garage all year.

Hope I have not just jinxed myself!
I did replace a fob battery on my '09 K1200LT, last summer (2013). I was getting intermittent locking/unlocking via the fob; replacing the battery fixed it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
It is usually not the FOB battery that gives you grief but the internal battery in the alarm. Once it goes south it can mess the alarm up if your main battery is out for too long a period of time.

I don't have a write up yet for the bypass switch but will work one up. After my surgery I'll have a month of sitting still to deal with...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts