BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks just wanted to share my recent experience repairing a broken wire on my LT. The wire broke extremely close to the back of a fuse block. The previous owner had used a wire tap to install some farkle sparkle and well wire taps suck it literally just cut the wire in half. To repair the wire I was going to need to de-pin the wire to gain enough access to do the job right.

De-pinning this wire was not like any other experience I had de-pinning not sure if this is just BMW typical over engineering or what. The metal connector is held into place on all 4 sides two metal tangs on the connector and two plastic tangs molded into the block. I was not able to successfully defeat these tangs to de-pin the wire.

As it turns out the fuse block is two parts held together in four places with tabs. The back of the block contains 4 holes so you can place slim de-pinners into them and remove the cap over the connectors. Once you remove the cap if your wire is broken you can just pull it out. If the wire is not broken you can defeat the 4 tabs holding the connector in place easier from the front.

Here are some pics describing how to defeat the fuse block and de-pin a broken wire.

If anyone has better techniques for accomplishing this on the LT please share below.:wink:

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,774 Posts
I have not done the early boxes but the later ones were pretty easy to unpin. It almost looks like there is a tab to push down (but that may be misleading).

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is only one of 4 tabs holding them in there is two top and bottom modled into the plastic fuse block and the two metal ones on the metal connector left and right side. I was not able to defeat the tabs without removing the fuse block top inner retainer as seen in my photos. If you have on early model LT's please share the photos with your method.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts