BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting up this link to help so that fellow riders can find help quickly. I suffered a FD failure summer of 2016 and found it very hard to find a place that would repair my FD:

this place is located in North Carolina and they are rebuilding them on a weekly basis. cost is quoted between $600/$800us depending on severity of your failure.

Ask for Peter Bombar 919-450-7450 Home

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I'm putting up this link to help so that fellow riders can find help quickly. I suffered a FD failure summer of 2016 and found it very hard to find a place that would repair my FD:

this place is located in North Carolina and they are rebuilding them on a weekly basis. cost is quoted between $600/$800us depending on severity of your failure.

If you had a hard time finding someone, you must not have posted here. Dave Selvig ( AKA Saddleman) is the resident expert on FD repair for many years, also in NC. Personally, I would not trust anyone but him without knowing how they go about it. I know what Dave does on each FD and it is far beyond what is necessary to fix a busted crown bearing. There are many things to inspect beyond that. It is nice to have options though so thanks for posting and welcome to the forum Viper.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Nice to always have options. But BMWcoolk1200 stated. Saddleman is the go to guy for Final Drives. He rebuilt mine and did a great job. As long as he is rebuilding FD's . I wouldn't go elsewhere.plus he offers a guarantee. Nice to have another option as I said.

Reactions: JVRx7

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Yikes!
I just happened onto this thread; I don't hang around here that much any more.

Sorry Viper, the first of your three posts on this site was to reply to a final drive thread I started in 2009 asking for final drive repair assistance. If I had seen it, I would have replied... sorry.

For future reference, anyone looking for K1200LT final drive repair should first contact Dave S. aka Saddleman on this site.

For discussions of reasons why many rebuilders "miss the mark" doing rebuilds I'll lazily refer you to my ubiquitous earlier posts.

Viper, many happy miles on your KLT. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Looks like I need to offer Viper an apology as he did come here looking and we all missed it. Glad you got it repaired and sorry we didn't refer you on your first post to Dave.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I rebuild mine myself being the engineer that I am. I have put 40K miles on it and so far so good. It's probably too early to tell if this drive will make a 100K.
I definitely would not advise this because a mistake is quite costly. I followed the procedure in the Clymer's manual but modeled the final drive housing cover. I used just plain algebra and lots measurements to calculate the shim size needed for the preload. I hate that I did not document the procedure. I have purchased another final drive housing and I plan on modifying it to be my measuring ring for BMW part no 33 4 601. I hope I never have to use it but you never know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the BMW world of motorcycles. I bought a 99 k1200LT It needed some cleanup and as a body guy drove the bike maybe 10 miles and then completely ripped apart to repaint. All put back together looks beautiful but on its first trip I noticed some noise from the rear end.. I could use Saddlemans help. I did purchase a very cheap one from eBay (still waiting for it to come in) but would like to have the original rebuilt for many trouble-free years of riding. after spending hours of researching Dave ( Saddleman)seems to be the guy. Please help me get in touch with him. Shane

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I am new to the BMW world of motorcycles. I bought a 99 k1200LT It needed some cleanup and as a body guy drove the bike maybe 10 miles and then completely ripped apart to repaint. All put back together looks beautiful but on its first trip I noticed some noise from the rear end.. I could use Saddlemans help. I did purchase a very cheap one from eBay (still waiting for it to come in) but would like to have the original rebuilt for many trouble-free years of riding. after spending hours of researching Dave ( Saddleman)seems to be the guy. Please help me get in touch with him. Shane
I sent you a PM Shane.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts

Interesting... The parts for a quality rebuild are $575 to $600 alone. Was this a labor rate quote? Just replacing the crown gear bearing and seal is not a rebuild. It is nothing more than a field repair.

Reactions: meese

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Interesting... The parts for a quality rebuild are $575 to $600 alone. Was this a labor rate quote? Just replacing the crown gear bearing and seal is not a rebuild. It is nothing more than a field repair.
The definitions of repair, rebuild, overhaul, and remanufacture aren't precise. And repairs are often subdivided into field and shop. Unless the work is done roadside, I would not call it a field repair. It is at least a shop repair. If, in addition to bearing and seal replacement, the bearing is shimmed properly and tooth pattern is checked and adjusted to factory specs, then it approaches a rebuild assuming all parts are serviceable and all clearances can be set to within factory service limits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts