BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 K1200LT with 39,000 miles. It's always been running flawlessly...UNTIL TODAY. I rode it to work and I noticed an intermittent engine hesitation. It seems most noticeable at 1700-2200 rpms in 4th & 5th gear, especially when accelerating or climbing a hill (happened twice in 3rd gear, too) but it doesn't happen all the time. I've tried to duplicate the problem on the same hill at the same engine rpm, but it happens randomly. I've also noticed that if I hold the throttle at 2500 rpm while parked, it develops an engine rumble...not severe but noticeable As far as I know, the plugs and wires have never been replaced. Any suggestions or advice would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have a 2001 K1200LT with 39,000 miles. It's always been running flawlessly...UNTIL TODAY. I rode it to work and I noticed an intermittent engine hesitation. It seems most noticeable at 1700-2200 rpms in 4th & 5th gear, especially when accelerating or climbing a hill (happened twice in 3rd gear, too) but it doesn't happen all the time. I've tried to duplicate the problem on the same hill at the same engine rpm, but it happens randomly. I've also noticed that if I hold the throttle at 2500 rpm while parked, it develops an engine rumble...not severe but noticeable As far as I know, the plugs and wires have never been replaced. Any suggestions or advice would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.
There are a few things that can cause this type of thing. In my case it was the Throttle Position potentiometer that had developed a bad spot. Sailor has written up a procedure for testing this but I had not been acquainted with his knowledge or this site when that happened to me. After discussing things with the local shop mechanic, I decided to replace it. It cost me as I had to buy a GS911 to do the adjustment plus the TPP which I got from Euromoto electric. It was still less expensive than having it done at the shop and it 100% cured my intermittent miss fire. I have not had any further issue and I have changed nothing else. They don't go bad very often though.

Just my 2 cents on this issue.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
at that mileage a clogged fuel filter

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same problem. 2 dealers could not figure it out. One in NY state said he had never heard of the coil pack going out. (That was my theory.) The one in Albany diagnosed it as the coil pack going out. I should have changed that in Las Vegas before I left on that trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts