BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Had a catastrophic failure when accelerating hard from a dead stop while riding 2up. I think the driveshaft has failed. Although I have no service manual at my disposal, I have managed to remove the final drive. How do I remove the driveshaft? Do any of you have any good tricks? Any help would be appreciated. Or a hyperlink to service info?

Regards,

Perry

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You can get a lg flat screwdriver in between the drive shaft and the transmission and pop it off.

·
Registered
438 Posts
OK... Here's what you gotta do.
Look at the top of the K1200LT Forum & find the sticky named "weep hole drilling video".
Watch the whole video (I watched it twice) & you will be good to go !

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The absolute best thing you can do is order a Clymers manual. Check Amazon for a great price.

You will never regret having this handiest tool on hand for future repairs.

Loren

·
Registered
594 Posts
wa1200lt said:
The absolute best thing you can do is order a Clymers manual. Check Amazon for a great price.

You will never regret having this handiest tool on hand for future repairs.

Loren
NOT A BAD CHOISE BUT... I haven't opened mine since I discovered this forum and downloaded the original PDF-repair manual from the interweb. Simply no need for Haynes Or Clymers...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Where you are right now with the swing arm in place, you can use a a piece of small rope and a pair of vise grips in the end of the shaft and pull on the rope to pop the shaft out. The tranny end has a clip ring to overcome. If it has failed the center may pull out of the rest of it. To install the replacement you will at a minimum need to remove the right side foot plate and the pivot pin parts to help line up the shaft onto the tranny. Also watch the video rhawk mentioned in the sticky post at the top of the page.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! Driveshaft and clymer manual are en-route. I managed to remove the driveshaft by screwing a heater hose clamp to the driveshaft, and placing the "foot" of a pry bar behind the business portion of the clamp. I held the pry bar horizontally with my largest pair of channel lock pliers, and smacked the pliers rearward with a 2 pound hammer several times. The shaft had indeed failed where the rubber couples it in the center of the shaft.
Perry

·
Registered
576 Posts
bmwbazza said:
Hi Perry,

If you go to this Russian site, there is a manual avialable for download as a PDF. It only needs printing (about 400 pages) or you can save it and read it off as required. Has served me well on a number of repairs.

http://blackbears.ru/index_en.php?get=manual

Barry
Not to derail the tread, but that's a massively interesting site, if quasi-legal from a copyright standpoint.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Driveshaft in and back on the road! Thanks for the helpful advice. Rode 70 miles last night, had a blast.
Kindest Regards,
Perry

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dablade said:
I managed to remove the driveshaft by screwing a heater hose clamp to the driveshaft, and placing the "foot" of a pry bar behind the business portion of the clamp. I held the pry bar horizontally with my largest pair of channel lock pliers, and smacked the pliers rearward with a 2 pound hammer several times.
Oh Wow Dude!!
That is truly "Ghetto" (which in this community....is not necessarily a bad thing)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts