BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2007 K1200 LT the courtesy lights and ground lights under the tip over bars have suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. All fuses have been checked and the Alarm system to which they are linked are all ok. They have been working when the alarm was disarmed.
Any solutions to this problem would be most helpful ..... thank you.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
The alarm actually controls them and there is a programming mod you can perform to turn them off or on. Some time the alarm will revert to a different program especially if the bikes battery has been changed. Check your alarm manual.

They may be disconnected or burned out. The dash light, with the switch all the way forward, will also come on with the ground lights. So if it doesn't you may need to re-program the alarm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. With the remote I have for the bike how do I use it to reprogramme the Alarm to reactivate these lights please.

I have checked all the bulbs in question and they are ok.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Here are the steps. When it says to press the button 3 times do not stab quickly, but rather press, release, press, release, press, release.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the copy of instructions . I will run through that procedure and hope for the best !!

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
May I ask, are these lights you have bright enough to improve the situation? I am typically in a hotel parking lot if I am on a bike at night but I can see where having some ambient light around the bike would be good in case of dropped keys, etc...currently trying to find components such as a 12vdc photocell and a digital timer that can be programmed for less than one hour, lol.

I know, John, the alarm did it easily :wink:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
No they are not and they don't even come on until you turn the key off so they are really of little value, IMO.

Reactions: Ricky Chuck

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
No they are not and they don't even come on until you turn the key off so they are really of little value, IMO.
My thoughts exactly. Now, if they came on whenever the speed dropped below 5 MPH, they would actually be useful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have tried the reprogramming procedure via the remote fob, but alas to no avail ..... still not working. Is there a relay/timer for these lights that I could check out for working or not. If so where will I be able to find it located. ?

Thank you .

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I've always found the Courtesy/Ground Lights to be sort of a waste, so years ago I fashioned some ground lighting and added them to my roundel lighting effects circuit. They are small LED’s placed in through holes drilled into the tip over wing cover and are activated via a small on/off switch located in the Stingray storage compartment. Quick disconnects were added to aid with any future tupperware removal necessity. They do help on those dark nights when ambient lighting is low and can be turned on/off at anytime. It also adds to the ambiance of the LT if you so desire!…….:wink::grin:

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Have tried the reprogramming procedure via the remote fob, but alas to no avail ..... still not working. Is there a relay/timer for these lights that I could check out for working or not. If so where will I be able to find it located. ?

Thank you .
They are controlled directly by the alarm module, so it appears that is where the failure has occurred. If you really want to confirm you can go to the 12 pin connector on the alarm (circled in red) and check pin 5 for voltage it is the Violet/Green wire. Remember the voltage is only there after you turn off the key. Alternately you can check any of the lights and make sure the brown wire is connected to battery (-).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you again for the advice given so far. If I do find that there is no voltage output from Pin 5 on the 12 Pin connector , does this mean a new module is required ?
Just to clarify ..... these ground lights and dash light NEVER came on when the ignition was turned off ( which the programming instructions would suggest would happen ) They were somehow programmed to light up when the Alarm module was disarmed using button number 2 ( smooth ).
If a replacement module is required is this a supply part from BMW only ?

Thank you.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
Only from BMW and it is now $463.

·
Registered
187 Posts
About a year ago I did this with my puddle lights, found them on eBay for about $25
Ok, that's badass. I want some of those, STAT!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ok, that's badass. I want some of those, STAT!
They are actually almost identical in shape to the existing ground lights. I just had to trim about 1mm of plastic from the opening under the black tip over covers.
On eBay they are described as 2 pcs LED car Door Welcome Projector Logo BMW lights. They cast at the time all of $20.38

1 - 16 of 16 Posts