BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am having trouble with my clutch, its a 04 Lt, and recently having problems selecting certain gears. Seemed to be easier when I use my hand!!. Anyway, I greased the linkage, which has not made much difference, early morning can select, 4 & 5. Doesnt seem to want to go into lower gears, When I stop and use my hand, it eventually goes through gears, but when riding, does the same, ie, 4 & 5, once I get it into 3rd, it seems to go into 2nd, although 1st problematic. All suggestions welcome, does it need new linkage, is ti the clutch, it has about 120k on it,
Thanks in advance, not sure what I would do without this forum, its fantastic

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have similar problems. I can easily change from 1st to 2nd but when I try for 3rd it sometimes isn't there. What I have found is if you pull up gently on the shift lever between 2nd and 3rd I find that there is no resistance so I pull it all the way up and release it again. I then pull up a second time and I find that there is resistance, as in it has engaged the gear to be changed. I then pull the clutch in and change up to 3rd without a problem. If you try this and get the same result I believe it is not the clutch but some kind of problem with how the gear lever engages the next gear.

·
Registered
493 Posts
A couple of years ago my 2007 LT got stuck on 4th.
Managed to stop and I think did engaged 3rd. Enough to limp home.
Greased the linkage and changed the oil.
It’s been good ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
If this just started I would suspect something in the linkage. Did you remove all four ball sockets as well as the cross bar and clean and lube everything? Also did you check all four ball studs to make sure they were still tight (8 mm wrench). Look here for some good info

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a new set of PowerGrid linkages coming in a few days and it will be interesting to see how this affects the gear change. I will let you know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a new set of PowerGrid linkages coming in a few days and it will be interesting to see how this affects the gear change. I will let you know.
good idea with the power grid, when i did mine i didn't lube the shoulder bolt that goes through the pedal and bolts to the foot plate. had the same problem wouldn't downshift
past 3rd.
i just kept kicking it not realizing the pedal wouldn't return to center. once i cleaned and lightly oiled it everything worked fine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I’ve had similar issues on my previous 06, especially in hot weather. My fix was to change to a synthetic gear oil that made the gear selection process as smooth as butter.

HTH

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thumbs up on the PowerGrid ! Allows me to shift harder and quicker w/o the dreaded "is it gonna break" or get stuck in gear syndrome. Best $100 spent on this flying brick. Just my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts