BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here. I have a 2007 KLT. I know there have been a million threads about clutches here and elsewhere. And everyone always says “it’s the clutch,” but I just can’t make sense of this. When the engine is cold, I have no slipping what-so-ever. After about 5-10 minutes of riding, the clutch will slip in 4th or 5th gear if o accelerate hard, but it won’t in any of the lower gears. And after about 20 minutes, it will slip in any gear under moderate acceleration. I know this is a big heavy bike, and all the weight can be hard on clutches. But certainly there is some explanation for this other that “replace the clutch.” I read something about brake cleaner in the clutch housing. Everyone seems to agree that that is not a solution. But a small pool of fluid in the bottom of the housing might explain my symptoms. It collects there as the engine cools. Gets distributed more and more as the clutch is used, causing slipping? I guess I should start with drilling a weep hole, and seeing if anything come out. Just curious if anyone else has ever dealt with this. Thanks, all!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
well unfortunately no matter what the cause, it is either worn out or oil has oil contamination, the end result is "it's the clutch" and you need to remove it and fix it. when you remove it all your questions will be answered.... good luck but by your description it oil contamination and the more you test it to see if it is slipping the worse it will slip. the weight is not hard on the clutch the rider is, you cant ride these things like a wet clutch crotch rocket.

Reactions: 14wntr

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
First post here. I have a 2007 KLT. I know there have been a million threads about clutches here and elsewhere. And everyone always says “it’s the clutch,” but I just can’t make sense of this. When the engine is cold, I have no slipping what-so-ever. After about 5-10 minutes of riding, the clutch will slip in 4th or 5th gear if o accelerate hard, but it won’t in any of the lower gears. And after about 20 minutes, it will slip in any gear under moderate acceleration. I know this is a big heavy bike, and all the weight can be hard on clutches. But certainly there is some explanation for this other that “replace the clutch.” I read something about brake cleaner in the clutch housing. Everyone seems to agree that that is not a solution. But a small pool of fluid in the bottom of the housing might explain my symptoms. It collects there as the engine cools. Gets distributed more and more as the clutch is used, causing slipping? I guess I should start with drilling a weep hole, and seeing if anything come out. Just curious if anyone else has ever dealt with this. Thanks, all!
Yes, I dealt with that three years ago on my 2007. My clutch was not worn much at all (0.05 mm if memory serves), but was contaminated with gear oil on about half of the friction material (from mid-radius to outer edge). Mine also slipped much more when warm, especially in hot weather. Is m not 100% sure why, but my guess was that as the oil warmed up its viscosity got less and it got a little more slippery.

Some have claimed success spraying brake cleaner into the housing, but I suspect that is at best a temporary solution and at worst could damage the engine or transmission seals making the situation even worse. I think the only real solution is to bite the bullet and tear her down.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
My first clutch started slipping at 40 K but I had abused it while pulling a trailer. It would only slip once in 5th and I could not repeat it again until 5 - 10 minutes later while riding. I continued to ride for 6 more months then tore it down. There was no oil contamination just a lot of fuzz from wear and it was still within the wear limits. My second clutch I kept the RPM always below 1500 until the clutch was fully engaged and that clutch was still viable at 102 k when I went in to replace the transmission input shaft bearing.

Until you really know the cause (oil, brake fluid contamination or just wear) there is no point in spaying anything in there as you may do more harm than good. A pull of the slave cylinder will reveal a lot as well as drilling a small hole in the bottom of the intermediate housing. You will know if it is contamination and can then choose a path for the next step.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
just a thought.. A bad drive shaft can slip also. The rubber in the shaft gets bad , seperates and slips .:wave

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
While you're in there, change the clutch housing O-ring (19x4mm) and all transmission seals along with a new slave cylinder and your engine breather. Then there is another list on all those threads you referred to. Time to get real.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts