BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, having previously owned a 1988 K100RT. I am now in the process of getting up to speed with the maintenance issues for K1200LT's. I do all my own maintenance as I have a mechanical background.
Presently waiting on a Clymer workshop manual, but I have a question -
Is there a clutch weakness with the K1200LT (mine is a 2005), when should the clutch splines be lubricated (mine has 16,000 Km's) and has the thinking moved from Moly to PTFE (Krytox) compounds ?
Hope this doesn't cause too much controversy, Regards, Dennis.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
lets see
1 no
2 never
ride it till it drops there is no maintaince required on the clutch

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome Dennis,
Good to see another Aussie on here.

I know nothing about the mechanics of these critters but it seems the other guys that will chime in know them inside and out.

Coming from Tassie I would be more worried about whether heaters were working :)

Enjoy your ride!
Greg

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if the engine/transmission configuration is basically the same as the K100, including the clutch arrangement (except for hydraulic actuation), then what has BMW changed/upgraded to make the K12 arrangement maintenance free ?

·
Registered
349 Posts
and has the thinking moved from Moly to PTFE (Krytox) compounds ?
Crisco. That's what I use. The butter flavor gives the bike a great scent when it gets hot.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The boxer motor bikes (The R models) needed to have the clutch splines lubed at regular intervals.

The LT has a hydraulic master and slave cylinder hydraulic clutch arrangement to actuate the clutch. No cables to adjust, lube, replace, etc.

The dry clutch on the LT is very much car-like in its design. There is no spec for lubing the splines as a maintenance item.

When was the last time you had to lube the clutch plate splines on a manual transmission car? Same difference on the LT.

Do not despair though, there are plenty of other maintenance items to keep you busy!

Loren

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
The best clutch maintenance I can recommend is to exercise it daily.
Good work out for you face muscles too. All those smiles. :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
K100Dennis said:
So if the engine/transmission configuration is basically the same as the K100, including the clutch arrangement (except for hydraulic actuation), then what has BMW changed/upgraded to make the K12 arrangement maintenance free ?
For one thing it takes about 8 hours of dissassembly time to just get to the splines. When pulling the transmission you are only two bolts and three wires away from complete engine removal. I could replace the rear main engine seal on my R80 in my driveway on a Saturday afternoon. There may have been some material changes in the disc splines. I put lube on mine when I installed a new clutch but I ain't going back in there again until I need to replace the clutch.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback so far. My concern, as some have alluded to, is that without some periodic re-lube the input shaft to the gearbox may suffer spline wear similar to the K100. I too am hoping that the metallurgy has evolved to the point where this item is now not an issue. No problem to do the work, but only if it is necessary, as I'm all for riding (and smiling).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Dennis
I have done 110000ks on my LT there is no problem with the clutch, the guys in the states have done lots more miles than me, I dont know what you are trying to establish but there is no maintainece required nada go for a ride and dont worry about it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Axle, that's the advice I was after. I have owned a K100RT for 5 years and made sure the clutch splines never got dry as it is a known problem on K100's, and even more of an issue with the final drive input shaft, not so much with the gearbox output shaft though. Much more at stake now with my K1200LT, so I am maybe a little paranoid.
My K12 has 16,000 Km's on it and the clutch sounds just slightly rattly below 2000 rpm, but everything is dry underneath and clutch action is excellent, as is gear shifting.
Thanks very much for your advice, we'll be back in Vic in Late Jan 2012, possibly in the Grampians area. Regards, Dennis

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
only a couple of hrs ride for me I'll meet you there for lunch :D the rattle is not the clutch they all do it, its the alternater they dont use helical gears

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Linton, yep, I'll keep in touch, we'll be somewhere up there around late Jan 2012, then hoping to cross to WA in September 2012. Let me know if you head over to Tassie, I'm only 25 Km from Devonport. Regards, Dennis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts