BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,
We have owned this bike (new) from September 2005. Mechanically its the best and given very little trouble until a few weeks ago, when I started having trouble with the centre stand. After a days riding with the local branch of the Ulysses club here in West Australia, the bike simply wont respond to the centre stand. If I park the bike for some time and have another crack, it will rise up on the stand although reluctantly. I was wondering if any members of this fantastic site have experienced such a bug?
The bike has travelled over 45,000k's now and still performs beautifully.
I would love to hear from any of you guys who may have had similar challenges.
Best always,
Bruce F Prichard
West Australia

·
Registered
236 Posts
A few of us have had this center stand problem although not precisely the same as what you described. My 06 worked fine for the first couple years that I had it then it started to not deploy all the way up on the 1st & sometimes 2nd try.
It would lift the bike partially and then drop it and the second try it would go up a little further or deploy completely leading me to think it was low on fluid. I took it to the dealer under warrantee and they replaced the pump. Sooo if you are still under warrantee I would suggest taking it in as it is a pretty costly item.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I had a similar issue, especially in very hot weather. First I would let the bike cool off for a few and then the stand would work. Another thing that also worked was to turn the ignition off, then back on but without starting the engine, and the stand would also work.

Not sure how this is related but... my reverse would only work for 2-3 feet and stop and I would have to release and press the starter button again. Apparently a known issue on the 05 and my dealer replaced a speed sensor. Since then I have not had a single issue with the center stand...:confused:
But heck.. I am happy it works!:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Fred & zippy gg,
Yep, from your description it appears that others have similar challenges with the centre stand. I experienced both your faults in that the bike stand would start to deploy and then simply fail to go through with the function and yes it was a day where the temp. was over 30 degrees "C". Summer is just around the corner. My two years is up on the warranty, but I've taken the extended warranty out for a few bucks ($) $450.00 Australian. I had taken the bike in just before the warranty was due to expire complaining that the stand was not functioning. They had greased and had tested without finding fault with it. Now the dealer has ordered a replacement stand for me.
Have you read the thread that another member had placed on this fantastic site. Where he had had switch problems, from some where underneath the bike, due to water?
Thanks for the rapid response you both made to my call. I've been trying to answer your replies but have been removed from the site and had to reregister.
Bruce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts