BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My ride is a 2006 K1200LT. It's a young adult in mileage with 41k. It's in great shape and I intend to hold onto it for a long time to come. LOVE the bike. I keep all my vehicles well maintained, and I've done all the recommended maintenance on this bike except one thing. The K motor has a cam chain tensioner made of plastic that BMW recommends replacement at 36,000 miles. Long Beach BMW says it will cost $2200 to do the work! Not happy BMW didn't put a longer lasting tensioner in. My gut feeling is it will last at least 50k miles... Does anyone have input and recommend I get this done soon? I know it wouldn't be pretty if it breaks apart. Or any recommendations where to get the work done less expensively in the L.A. area? Thanks!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
Don't worry about that. It is just the guide rails they recommend not the actual tensioner. They sell a kit for $47.

It will not break and it still shows little wear at 110,000 miles. I am replacing it as I was in there anyway.

The amount of work and risk of damaging the front crank seal is not worth it at 40 K in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
I have 74K on my LT and based on John’s results and similar comments from others, I am not touching mine until I have to pull that cover for some other reason. Unless I get to maybe 150,000 miles and then I might start to think about it. :grin:

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies fellow LT riders. It's what I hoped to hear. I don’t intend to touch it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts