BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

K1200LT Buying Help

3K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  ATLDB 
#1 ·
I have been wanting one of these for years and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I have never been a fan of neogotiating with new vehicle dealerships though so want to know if anyone out there can give me an idea of what "discount" is typical on buying a new K1200LT. Is it fair/reasonable to pay MSRP, or should I be able to find a 10% reduction, or what is normal. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks you.

#2 ·
If you let us know where you are, someone who lives near you can give you accurate information.

Some dealers discount, some won't.

I saved about $1500 when I bought my bike in CA and had it shipped to me in Tucson.

When I inquired about buying an extended warranty at the local dealership, they refused to sell me one, since I didn't buy the bike from them.

Bob

#5 ·
Buying a new LT

My wife & I negotiated a difference of $6000, including taxes, between the asking price and the actual cost of our 05 LT. It was Canadian prices. The asking price for an 05 LT last year in B.C. was $36,400 all taxes in. We have two taxes to pay and they are 7% GST (Goods & Services tax) and 7% PST (Provincial sales tax).

We can't buy a new bike in the US and bring it back into Canada without paying two taxes at the border, and those taxes would be on the full Canadian price. So if you got a fantastic deal of, let's say, $17,000 US for a new 05 LT and you bought it in Washington State, you would have to pay taxes of 7% & 7% on the Canadian selling price.

I just ran into a man (also Canadian) who bought an 05 LT from the E-Bay site for $10,000 US. It had been in an accident and he told me it was mostly cosmetic damage. He also bought all the damaged faring parts he needed from the E-Bay site for $1,000 US. That's a different option. Cheers.

#6 ·
There are at least 3 dealers in NC... There is one in Wilmington,Raleigh, and Greensboro.... They are all owned by the same people, I do all my business in Wilmington... The store manager is Chris Hill, the tech is Jason.. Tell them Pete from Jacksonville told you to call. (910) 202-0269..........Regards Pete

#7 ·
From my experience with my dealer I would say that he won't deal on the LT. That may be why he still has an 05 sitting next to an 06. You can probably shop around on Cycle Trader and find some dealers with good prices on any left over 05's they might have.

#8 ·
Budzee

I don't know about price but there is a dealer in Matthews, NC (about 10 miles east of Charlotte) that has always treated me very well. They respect and care for airheads of which I have two and they have a BMW certified technician. They have done some work on my LT and I believe they did a good job at a reasonable price. They have a web site:www.bmw-ducati.com

#9 ·
sprangw said:
Is it fair/reasonable to pay MSRP, or should I be able to find a 10% reduction, or what is normal. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks you.
I just purchased an 05 about 3 weeks ago, now. The sticker was $21500, as I recall. I was actually more interested in the RGT at 17000 but the wife was leaning more towards the last, lonely LT in the showroom. I noticed how quickly the salesman began talking to her about the benefits of two up riding on the LT and realized he must've been in a hurry to get it out of the store in order to bring in his batch of 06s--thats all speculation, of course.

Anyway, i made the comment that i didn't really want to spend that kind of money and he almost immediately told me because it was an 05, he was willing to make me a great deal.

I too hate dickering for a new vehicle but i must say, i walked out of that shop with my new beemer for $17,500--and i did give up my ol 1990 Vulcan for 635 bucks in the process.

I felt i'd gotten a good deal since the bike has every available option but the nav system, the soft touch seats and the adjustable rear pegs, so I guess it all depends on how much your dealer is willing deal....

Sheesh--reading this over, it appears I wasn't a rat's ass bit of help to ya.
Sorry.

#11 ·
sprangw said:
I have been wanting one of these for years and am finally ready to pull the trigger. I have never been a fan of neogotiating with new vehicle dealerships though so want to know if anyone out there can give me an idea of what "discount" is typical on buying a new K1200LT. Is it fair/reasonable to pay MSRP, or should I be able to find a 10% reduction, or what is normal. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks you.
My experience; When purchasing a new LT there can be a significant cost some dealers charge for 'set-up'. When I bought my LT, one dealer wanted $1500 extra for the intercom and navigation setup. I purchased from a different dealer that negotiated with a dealer in California. I was able to bypass the set-up charges.

Getting a new BMW is one of the funest things I can think of doing. Enjoy!

#12 ·
In July of '04, I found a new '05 demo at a dealer in Tucson, AZ with 800 miles for $16,600. When I arrived they had completed the 600 mile service on the LT. The dealership owner picked us up at the airport, drove us to the dealership, where my full gassed up bike awaited us.

I clearly saved $3-4,000 by flying from Oakland, CA to Tucson for the purchase. What's great about the BMW line of motorcycles for us Californians is that they are all 50 state smog legal, which greatly facilitated California registration.

Good luck on your quest. By the way, my LT was not really well equipt, but it did have the Convenience Option and Nav prep. Over the next year, I was able to add heated seats and AutoCom, thanks to Ebay, among other ammenities.

#13 ·
Ya just gotta ask!

sprangw said:

Just gotta ask cause at worst they will just say no.

I just bought an 05-LT, (it's still in the show-room) before Christmas over the phone. The nearest dealers to me were 30 & 50 miles from my house respectively. I gave them the the same shopping list of equipment and color and let each know I was going to buy one today! I got everything on the bike but the NAV and I mean everything, bag liners, chrome adjustable foot rest, etc. and save $4,200 compaired to the asking price.

#14 ·
Try SC

Champion Honda BMW in Charleston SC claims that they will match any price....they seem to be a discounter...you might give them a try. You might also look for loaded '05's with a couple of thousand miles on them. I bought an 05 with 2,000 miles for 17,500 pretty well equipped. The Miami FL dealer has an 05 with three thousand miles on it....ask is 18,500.
Good Hunting and safe riding,
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.