BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta tell ya reading all the posts on rear drive, ABS, clutch, and god knows what other high $$$$$ failures, has got this fairly new LT owner concerned. I have ridden a 1985 K100RT for 8 yrs and not really sure how many thousands of miles with zero failures and was only stranded by my inability to pay attention to the fuel plus that I installed to avoid being stranded :eek: I have owned several Jap bikes before that with very little Mx other than preventative involved. (I know no comparison) My point/question is what does the quantifiable data say about these bikes ie... rear drive failures per bike sold by model yr or miles ridden?? I understand very few people sign on to a forum to talk about what a great ride they had this weekend and discuss the fact that the bike did not fail in some way, so I know or at least hope the measured statistics are not as bad as the perception. Anybody know where there might be some info on actual failure percentages/ratios? :confused:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Like Dave Says

I too was worried before I bought my 05.

I have 47K on it now (9 K of it mine) and no problems. I do my own maintenance and am now considering my first tire change (cheapskate at heart).

I chalk up the forum info as bad news is news and it travels. How many hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles out there? No one posts that info frequently, but, a blowed-up-clutch, now I can sink my teeth into that.

Ditto on the "ride it like you stole it", just be prepared to replace tires :bmw: :bmw:

·
Registered
704 Posts
39000 miles and very, very few problems! Those I had were minor and did not disrupt any trips. I find the bike to be very dependable. There have been polls done here on this site that you can look at to determine rear end failure ratios, etc. and it's good to read about the problems some have had so IF it happens, you have an idea what could be wrong, but don't let it worry you.

·
Registered
749 Posts
There are many LT owners with many thousands of trouble free miles. If you read any forum dedicated to a particular vehicle, you will find so many horror stories that you would never buy anything. I have a '99 Ford turbo-diesel pickup with over 185,000 trouble free miles but if you read the forum, you would think it was the biggest piece of junk since the Yugo.

Secret to the LT? It likes to run and run hard! Don't let her sit for long. If something goes wrong, we are here to help you.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Do you feel lucky...well do you?

Some here have never had a break down. My 04' has had ALL the little $hit happen. Some are lucky and some are not.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Have ridden her HARD. No problems with 70000, all mine.
Remember; Bad news travels fast.
Enjoy her; ride her hard; when she breaks, fix it.
Why ride if you have to worry all the time.

Zeke

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because of the great luck I had with my first BMW I choose think I have bought a good bike. Of course I bought the 1st one from a Master BMW tech at Iron Horse in Tucson. I do ride lt like I stole it and hope to do so for many troublefree miles. Had I spent a lot of time on this site before my purchase I might have been scared away. (Not too far as the R1200RT was my 2nd choice.) I think more than anything I don't want to listen to the SO giving me hell because my German engineered dream machine is broke down after the way I built em up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread :bmw: Oh well I can blame it on the way she parked the car next to it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
yep

The reason I sold my '99 was that because the day I purchased the k1200lt it started to show signs of wear on it..GO figure.. :histerica

But seriously though it was a friday night special , anything that could go wrong went wrong! Stuck starter, Windscreen, Shocks, Final drive, Gaskets. Still my friend who just purchased a Gold wing had it even worse. His tire blew out and totaled the bike and he injured himself pretty good.

Just shows you..you never know!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zeke said:
Have ridden her HARD. No problems with 70000, all mine.
Remember; Bad news travels fast.
Enjoy her; ride her hard; when she breaks, fix it.
Why ride if you have to worry all the time.

Zeke
Worry all the time is kinda funny. I probably worry less than anybody you know, besides I have a 1985 K bike waiting in the garage that is probably getting restless for a run anyway. Trust me I will and do ride it and the last thing on my mind is the rear drive failing. I am just curious if anybody had some real numbers on this bikes failures just to see if I really need to tear it halfway apart to drill a hole in it. So far I am thrilled with the power and handling (for what it is) and can't wait for the next sunset over the windsheild after a full day in the saddle.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
<what does the quantifiable data say>

NO meaningful, reliable data for these problems.

Bob

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
So you've listened to some of us
Bitch
Moan (and)
Whine

It's not a perfect bike,
but I'd rather ride the LT than just about anything else on the market.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Fedexrider said:
Worry all the time is kinda funny. I probably worry less than anybody you know, besides I have a 1985 K bike waiting in the garage that is probably getting restless for a run anyway. Trust me I will and do ride it and the last thing on my mind is the rear drive failing. I am just curious if anybody had some real numbers on this bikes failures just to see if I really need to tear it halfway apart to drill a hole in it. So far I am thrilled with the power and handling (for what it is) and can't wait for the next sunset over the windsheild after a full day in the saddle.
Jerry;

That was not meant has an insult. Most BMW owners ride ALOT.
I was just saying that you hear bad news alot faster then good.
Ive had the same things going thru my head about the drill. But after 70000 trouble free miles I will ride it till the clutch goes and do all at once. As a Maint. supervisor IF IT AINT BROKE DONT TOUCH WITH IT. (cleaned up)
No bad feelings.

Zeke

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Zeke
Not taken as an insult but just thought it was funny. If you knew me you would understand why. No bad feelings whatsoever. I guess I need to learn to use the smiley things more often in my posts. :)

Hans,
Love the acronym. First time I've seen that one believe or not. I am truly a newbie to this forum thing. Been riding bikes(does a mini bike count?) since I was Ten so not new to that.

TMGS
Good post from the archive. As an (semi) old ex aircraft mechanic I know anything mechanical is going to break. But as my bike was bought used from a private owner (no warranty) with low mileage (10000) these doom and gloom posts had me thinking I needed to start throwing tupperware and drilling holes.

I think I'll take Zekes advice and ride it til it crys uncle. I'll save the hole drilling for when someone local with the savvy and know how decides to have a tech session. I promise when and if mine takes a S#@t I will post for informational purposes but will try to limit the Bitching Moaning & Whining. :bmw: (didn't take me long to plagerize that one Hans)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
So you've listened to some of us
Bitch
Moan (and)
Whine
I thought it was:
Broke
My
Wallet?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
See my new sub-title..."Ride it 'til it breaks". The rest of that is..."then fix it, and ride it some more." BMW motorcycles are machines, and machines do break. I know lots of guys riding other bikes, and they all have their own breakdown stories.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Go have a look at ANY other vehicle forum. All you really hear about are the problems people have, had or are about to have with their vehicle. After reading some of them, go find a forum that "supports" your car/truck. Read through it all and see if you'd have bought your vehicle based on the problems related there.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Drilling that little hole

I bought my '03 LTC with 15,900 miles on it and one week left on the warranty. That was in November. In March the slave cylinder leaked and ruined my clutch. Made me wish I had drilled that little hole before it failed. I sold my '05 Yamaha Venture last week (on consignment at a Honda dealer). It had 38K carefree miles on it and it still has 3 years left on the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. None of my rice burners have ever missed a lick. I hope my LT will prove to be as reliable............. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts