BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 k1200lt with 70,000 miles. shifted just fine until i dropped it i
n driveway in first gear.now i have to jam it to get out of fifth gear. first through forth shifts fine. when i have to force it out of fifth the shift lever barley moves. i took off linkage and cleaned at lubed it. made no difference. could i have bent a shift fork? if so which one? i am out of ideas

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
i have a 2002 k1200lt with 70,000 miles. shifted just fine until i dropped it i
n driveway in first gear.now i have to jam it to get out of fifth gear. first through forth shifts fine. when i have to force it out of fifth the shift lever barley moves. i took off linkage and cleaned at lubed it. made no difference. could i have bent a shift fork? if so which one? i am out of ideas
That is a possibility. She is very heavy and could damage a shift fork in a fall like that. You wouldn't know for sure unless you pulled it apart for inspection. If everything else works OK, then probably the 5th gear fork as it looks like that fork only handles 5th gear or 5th and 6th if it was a 6 speed without reverse.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
That is pretty hard to do if you dropped it in first. The 5th gear fork is only for 5th gear as there is no 6th. I have seen a bent fork but it was in a transmission sent to me for repair and it was already partially disassembled and it think it was damaged in shipping. Try it with the bike on the center stand, engine off and rock the rear wheel back and forth as you step up and down through the gears. See if there is a distinct difference in the 5th gear doing that.

You said you cleaned and lubed the linkage. Hope you did a full disassemble like shown here

·
Registered
170 Posts
have a close look at the plate that holds th eshifter - betch it's cracked or bent
dropped mine on the brake side and cracked the whole thing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts